The Way I See It…

New Year’s Resolutions won’t change a thing

A new year presents itself with new beginnings; a chance to start over. You can wipe the slate clean and completely re-invent yourself. Or, if you’re like me, you can be like one of the millions of people who refuses to set themself up for disappointment and failure.

Here’s my guess at what some students may be resolving to change this year:

Freshmen regain consciousness and recognize college isn’t just one big keg party. They also realize how to escape Friday morning classes. Sophomores begin to take notice that there might be more to life than striving to go out every night of the week. Even juniors recognize the hardest year of college is only half-over and all-nighters aren’t always worth it.

Seniors, especially, take the first few months of 2009 to prepare themselves for a new path in their lives. As graduates enter the job market, images become perfectly tailored, résumés are flawless and one’s overall character takes on a more mature and serious demeanor. Vineyard Vines’ ties and Brooks Brother’s jackets will replace yesterday’s sweats.

Girls will return with blonder highlights; boys with toned muscles from hitting the ski slopes or getting back into last year’s gym routine. Everyone will learn from the mistakes made last year, make amends with bad habits and progress forward. Each individual will set at least one goal they hope to fulfill this year. Now if only freshman forgiveness counted during senior year.

Men and women from all majors, classifications and hometowns will parade to their respective fraternities and sororities at the end of rush week. New favorite colors and symbols will develop, favorite weekend plans and hangouts will be altered and new acquaintances will grow to be best friends. How else do you expect to learn about happy hour specials if you’re always going to one bar?

But just how realistic are our expectations when a new year reveals itself? Bad news, Mustangs, the odds are not in one’s favor. In fact, according to CNN, of the nearly 100 million Americans who make a New Year resolution, only one of five will stick with his or her goal.

We should take this opportunity to look to the future of what lies ahead of us. For some it is graduation. To others it’s one day less until the tip off of March Madness or moving out of the dorms.

The bottom line is, if someone is going to change they don’t need a New Year to achieve their goal. Sure, there might be a tad bit more motivation as students take on a new challenge together, but how many people can say they truly stuck to their resolution from last year? How many can actually remember what it was?

Rather than taking one day out of the year to pursue your dreams, why not make it an every day challenge to make that dream come true?

– Nicole Jacobsen

Editor in Chief