Spring calendar changes approved

The President’s Executive Council has approved two changes to the Spring 2008 University Calendar.

The first change concerned Tuesday, Jan. 22. That day will follow a Monday class schedule. It will also be the last day to enroll, add or drop courses without grade record or tuition billing.

The second change was made for Wednesday, April 30, which will follow a Friday class schedule. It will be the last day of instruction, as well as the last day to file for May graduation.

“The changes were made to provide a better balance in class minutes between MWF (Monday-Wednesday-Friday) and TR (Tuesday-Thursday) classes, as well as to ensure that M-only classes meet within the first two weeks of the term,” according to an e-mail sent out by John A. Hall, Executive Director of Enrollment Services and University Registrar.

Professor Jim Collins, chair of the calendar committee, said the changes were necessary to provide a better balance for the Monday, Wednesday and Friday classes and the Tuesday, Thursday classes.

“On the semester because of Monday holidays, etc., the [Monday-Wednesday-Friday] classes were meeting for a total of 2,050 minutes…whereas the [Tuesday-Thursday] classes were meeting for 2,320 minutes,” Collins said. “This was a 270 minute (4.5 hour) difference in contact time.

According to Collins, the dates have already been passed and placed into effect by the Faculty Senate.

“We are in the process of setting up guidelines to be followed by future calendar committees so that this balance is maintained,” he said.

The Spring 2008 University Calendar can be found online at smu.edu/registrar/academic_calendar.asp. The calendar changes have also been posted to the online calendar.