My Africa

Looking back to my early years, I can clearly remember the stories told about the turmoil in Africa- from wars to coups and even famine. Here I am today, and nothing has changed. I turn on the news. The same old stories keeping flashing across the screen like an endless nightmare. I fear my Africa has done so much damage to itself that she is now beyond repair, God forbid. But even as I hear myself saying this the silent tear drops stream down my face. History itself seems to be of no effect, because of Africa’s refusal to acknowledge it. We have taken such a violent and destructive path, that even the red mud we walk on seems to be saturated in blood and tears.

The screams of the innocent burst from Rwanda, enough that those living in the shadow of death in Sudan respond- even the lifeless infant on his mother’s bosom cries. But like the wind, their voices echo into the night and vanish into nothingness. I am overcome by silence. Yes, the powers that be have grown silent- silent to the agony of the forgotten and deprived. As I write these words, I drift back a few years to my history class in high school and remember those fateful words that my teacher read out of a text book: “This is a dark continent inhabited by savage and Godless people.” It is not an exact quote, but one stating the European perception of Africa as a whole upon first contact. A thriving continent: reduced to nothing by people who barely understood her or her people.

Even now I cannot help but wonder if these words still reflect how the world views Africa. I must admit, I often think about how I am perceived when in the company of non-Africans. To get past these thoughts, I say to myself, “Man, you worry too much.” But ultimately, to some Africa is just a continent not worth saving. Many of the problems facing the country today hold their origin in colonial times when our colonial masters did with Africa as they pleased. The British, for instance, implemented a policy of “divide and conquer” in which they encouraged one African tribe to make war against another, invoking strife among neighbors- some that had lived in peace for centuries. Africa as a whole was eventually torn up and shared among colonial powers with no regard to the differences that existed among them. The resulting tribes that had nothing in common became nations- nations that would eventually fall prey to the lack of trust among their constituents.

So you see, Africa was set up to fail even before we gained political and economic independence. Now, Africa is a continent that has been submerged in turmoil for almost 60 years. Countless lives have been lost, and there is no end in sight.

Everyday, I turn on the news and another African city is up in flames, or an entire tribe of people is wiped off the face of the planet by a rampaging group of fools who are not satisfied with the disembodiment of the innocent. I close my eyes and ears, with what I can, desperate to shield them from the promises of overfed politicians and military officers who lie with a smile on their face. So much is happening in Africa that cries for world attention, but the powers that be adopt a policy of no intervention while clearly interfering where their interests are best served. You see, I have come to the conclusion that Africa is best served by Africans and those who share a common interest in humanity. The powers that be can only do so much in trying to satisfy their personal interest before they let us burn. Yet our leaders are too stupid to recognize the trap. How else would one explain the billions given to illegitimate governments that have no interest in the betterment of their people? Yes, I believe the world holds a share in the problems facing Africa today, but ultimately, the biggest portion of blame must rest on African leaders who we have been entrusted with our security and welfare. If the world does not give a damn about Africa, it is because our leaders do not give a damn about us. Their egos and greed has overshadowed the oaths they swore to uphold. I have come to believe that our leaders are a cancerous breed, so infectious that they are gradually killing Africa. They have bankrupted Africa from the onset, and her thrones are now deeply clenched in the fist of thieves and murderers. Common criminals living in gated mansions with cars worth more than what a thousand school teachers would make in a year. They wine and dine at the most plush restaurants the world has to offer with billions of stolen national dollars stashed in European accounts, while innocent children are forced to lay their stomachs on bare cement to easy their hunger. They trample upon the rule of law. Justice is only served to satisfy their personal agendas. They rule with an iron fist, crushing all who dare stand in opposition to their brutish ways. They are self-appointed judges, jurors and executioners. To me, African leaders have lost every shred of their humanity, and there are few that would not agree with me.

But there is hope yet, hope in a people who have endured much. Endured so much for so long, seeking the best in every man and every leader, believing that a better day lies just beyond the horizon. I know this may sound strange to some, but it is the core of the African spirit to persevere. And we have persevered; but like every civilization, a time will come when the African people will start to rise and demand more for them. A day when we realize that we are not a burden to the world, as our leaders makes us out to look, but a blessing, a blessing since time began. Already, if you listen closely, there is a deep moan rising out of our country, one that will eventually become a roar so loud that even the mighty lions of Africa can no longer ignore them.

Ogbang “James” Okongor is a cab driver from the Dallas area.