The Way I See It…

Top 10 reasons to make it a great year and enjoy 2009

It’s the season of resolutions: Lose weight, save money, study more etc. Usually I don’t make resolutions but as I was reading the January 2009 issue of Vogue I came across a list of resolutions that are not only inspiring but also broad enough for a wide range of interpretation. While these resolutions were originally paired with coffee table books, lipsticks and exotic vacation spots, I re-interpreted them so they are more functional and relevant to my life.

1. Be Bold – Speak up in class or at work and get noticed. There’s nothing worse than being invisible, so be colorful and walk with pride.

2. Savor the Moment – College, for most of us, is only four years long. Savor these times. And for that matter, savor the simple time you spend with family, friends and colleagues. Revel in the moment.

3. Get Inspired – I’ve always had an artsy side, but for 2009 why not tap into the right side of your brain? Try and look at things through a different pair of glasses.

4. Make Headlines – Take a note from our new President Barack Obama and chase your own goals with equal tenacity.

5. Take Heart – This may sound cheesy, but if you’re not the type interested in donating money or volunteering, just smile. Smile at the people in Starbucks in the morning or grin at your fellow classmates as you wander through campus. After all, a little heart always goes a long way.

6. Get in the Swing – Find a routine and stick with it. Follow the news, keep up on your reading and, most importantly, make time for yourself. We are all busy but without 15 minutes of alone time every day, I’m pretty sure we all might lose it.

7. Take a Risk – Don’t play it safe. Question the impossible and break down those nasty self-imposed limitations.

8. Team Up – As college students, life seems to revolve around us. But remember, even though you may be the center of your own universe, the company you keep is just as integral to your well-being as are your personal accomplishments.

9. Buck Convention – Take the road less traveled. Be a groundbreaker. Stray from the norm.

10. Stay on Your Toes – We’re living in tough times, full of change and uncertainty. Keep tabs on your own life and be prepared for the good and the bad and take it in stride.

– Christina Geyer

Chief Copy Editor