Volleyball falls over weekend

The SMU volleyball team dropped both games over the weekend to UAB and Memphis. The two losses drop the volleyball team’s record on the season to 15-13 overall and 5-9 in conference play. The Mustangs are now ninth in the Conference USA standings.

On Friday night, Memphis started the game by taking the first four points of the match. The Mustangs never could substantially overcome that lead and dropped the game by a score of 30-23.

The second game featured back and forth action, but the Mustangs were able to hold off the Tigers to win the game by a score of 30-25.

After tying the match, the Tigers took the next two games (30-22, 30-27) to give SMU its eighth conference loss of the season.

Both Caitlin Rainbird and Madison Hill provided some bright sports for the Mustangs after notching double-doubles against Memphis. Rainbird had 13 kills and 14 digs, while Hill had a team-high of 39 assists and 10 digs.

Sunday afternoon’s game featured another tough loss for the Mustangs against the UAB Blazers. The Mustangs were shut out on the day losing all three games (30-21, 31-29, 30-19).

The Mustangs mounted a serious threat in only the second game. In the middle of the game, the Mustangs went on a scoring streak by putting together 11 straight points that gave them a 24-17 lead.

The Mustangs held the lead for a while, until the Blazers tied the score at 28. The Blazers and Mustangs then traded points and forced the game into extra time. On the brink of winning the game, the Mustangs dropped the next two points and the game to UAB 31-29.

Rainbird and Hill recorded double-doubles against UAB, making them the only two players to record double-doubles over the entire weekend. This time, Rainbird recorded 10 kills and 12 digs while Hill had 28 assists and 14 digs.

These two games were disappointing for the Mustangs because they were the last home games of the season.

Both Memphis and UAB were tough opponents, ranked No. 1 and No. 3 in the conference, respectively.

In the final week of the regular season, the Mustangs travel to Houston to face the Houston Cougars and Rice Owls on Friday and Saturday night.