RLSH moves to frat row

George Gallegos (left) and Marcelo Ochoa (right) roll a desk into the new Residence Life and Student Housing office located in the former Beta Theta Pi Fraternity house on SMU Boulevard.
John Schreiber

George Gallegos (left) and Marcelo Ochoa (right) roll a desk into the new Residence Life and Student Housing office located in the former Beta Theta Pi Fraternity house on SMU Boulevard. (John Schreiber)

Residence Life and Student Housing (RLSH) relocated to 3058 SMU Boulevard, the former Beta house, on Thursday. The move from their original location in Boaz Hall, is in preparation for the renovation of Boaz that will occur during the spring semester.

The new location, further from the heart of campus, has led many students to be concerned that RLSH may not be able to meet their needs as well as they have in the past.

“The new location is way out of the way,” first year Holly Bernard said. “No one wants to go that far just to talk to them for a short time.”

RLSH is aware that many students who live in the residence halls are expressing this concern. However, they believe that this move will allow them to better serve students who live in other areas of campus.

“With any change there’s going to be some adjustment, but we don’t just have residence halls,” Susan Strobel Hogan, assistant director of RLSH said. “We also have Greek houses and SMU Apartments. The new location will be closer to the apartments and right in the middle of the fraternity houses, so we will be able to serve those communities better.”

RLSH has plans to move back to their familiar corner of Boaz Hall after the renovations are completed. According to Hogan, renovations should be completed next September.

Until then, RLSH will be operating from their new location, but not everything is changing.

“Our phone number and mailing address will remain the same,” Hogan said. “Students will still be able to contact us through either of those mediums.”