A friendly voice in favor of a friendless Giant

Last Thursday, Plaxico Burress of the New York Giants patronized a New York nightclub. Burress was arrested for two counts of felony possession of a firearm and now faces up to 15 years in prison. w He as suspended by the Giants for four games. The suspension will end Burress’s season and, likely, his career as a Giant.

In light of the NFL’s attempt to crack down on negative behavior, Burress can seemingly expect a suspension from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Adam Jones and Tank Williams of the Dallas Cowboys, Brandon Marshall of the Denver Broncos and Chris Henry of the Cincinnati Bangles know Goodell’s wrath. Each of those players know what awaits Burress at the commissioner’s office, for each player was punished for their own episode of negative behavior within the last two years. Unlike the aforementioned players, however, Burress did nothing wrong; therefore, Burress’ situation should be treated differently.

Granted Burress did possess a handgun with an expired permit not valid in the state of New York, but what is lost in the situation is that carrying a handgun for professional football players might not be a privilege, not even a right, but instead a necessity. In light of Burress’ arrest, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg declared, “I don’t think anybody should be exempt from (the crime of illegally carrying a firearm), and I think it would be an outrage if we didn’t prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, particularly people who live in the public domain, make their living because of their visibility.” Mayor Bloomberg obviously doesn’t get that “people who live in the public domain (professional athletes)” are subject to different circumstances than average citizens. Professional athletes are now targets! Therefore, the fact that violence against NFL players is out of control is obviously lost on Mayor Bloomberg.

Do you think Burress would feel the need to carry a handgun if Darrent Williams of the Denver Broncos wasn’t murdered at gunpoint in his limo New Years Day in 2007, if Shawn Taylor of the Washington Redskins wasn’t murdered in his bedroom last fall or even if Richard Collier of the Jacksonville Jaguars wasn’t paralyzed due to gunshot wounds? Even as I write this column, I glance up at the ESPN bottom line, and read that Steve Smith, also of the New York Giants, was robbed outside his home at gunpoint last Tuesday. Smith was robbed merely two days before Burress’s ordeal.

Professional athletes are no longer safe without protection because they are targeted so often. While Burress was drinking at a New York club, Taylor and Smith were at their respective residences. Athletes, therefore, can’t effectively decrease the chances that they will experience threats at gunpoint by changing their lifestyles because criminals now apparently seek athletes out. Even if athletes could eliminate any chance that they would encounter a threat at gunpoint by staying at home, it is not fair to ask them to give up their social life. The only reasonable protective measure is for professional athletes to carry handguns themselves and even the playing field.

In a recent ESPN interview, Kevin Mawae of the Tennessee Titans stated, “it’s about 50/50 when it comes to gun ownership,” in the Titan’s locker room. Another victim of a robbery at gunpoint, Dunta Robinson of the Houston Texans regularly carries a handgun and owns several military quality weapons at his home according to ESPN.com. The collective attitude of the players is that they just feel safer with a handgun. Burress is no different.

Burress’ behavior cannot be seen on the same scale as Jones because Burress’ behavior didn’t affect anybody else, for Burress only accidentally shot himself. Jones has a laundry list of altercations since he entered the NFL. Burress’ trespasses consist of violating team rules and skipping the occasional practice; those infractions should be punished with fines and temporary suspensions, not 15 years in prison and a shattered career. The necessary steps were taken for Burress to legally own a gun. Burress was permitted to own a gun in Florida, and he shouldn’t be blamed for not knowing that New York law didn’t accept out of state permits. Regular citizens aren’t expected to know individual state laws; therefore, neither should athletes.

Athletes don’t deserve special treatment above the law because they are athletes, but in Burress’ case, Burress wasn’t breaking a law. Burress didn’t own a handgun for violent or malicious purposes. Instead, it was for protection. In a world where social issues are black and white and people are either pro-life or pro-choice on abortion, athletes are starting to become either pro-protection or pro-luck on gun control and other protective measures.

In the words of Dunta Robinson, “You hear lots of stories about guys getting robbed, and you say, ‘Man, what were they doing, how did they get into that situation?’ Flashy guys. Rude guys. Guys who act like they’re better than everybody. I don’t roll like that, and it still happened to me. I’m young. I have money. I have what they want. I definitely felt targeted, just like everyone in my position is a target.”

Nobody blames Robinson for owning a gun for protective reasons, therefore, why is Burress facing 15 years in prison for owning a gun for protective reasons?

Derek Sangston is a junior political science and pre-law double major. He can be reached for comment at [email protected].