FASHION FLASH

As per request, this week’s column is about hair care.

A friend approached me the other day, complaining that she was having some difficulty managing her hair in this bizarre Texas weather.

Although most don’t think about it when they are picking out their outfits for the day – hair is just another accessory to work with, and styled incorrectly it can ruin a look. Hair has everything to do with fashion, why else would fashion designer’s put so much effort into it on the days of runway shows?

The first problem we will tackle is simple hair hygiene.

No matter what most myths say, unless you have excessively dry or weak hair, you should wash it every day. For those who do not wash every day (with just cause), you can take your cue from Tyra Banks: soft and simple is the best way to go.

As far as shampoos go, I would recommend natural blends and specific formulas for each hair type. Shampoo is not the place to be cheap. Although some lesser grocery store brands smell great and clean well, they are also infamous for stripping hair of much of the natural oils and cuticle that are essential for hair’s health. A few dollars a bottle goes a long way, especially if you have long hair that does not get cut as often.

Another common problem is split ends.

Excessive brushing, flat ironing, and too much blow-drying cause split-ends. Not that one shouldn’t partake in these activities, but do them sparingly. Split ends happen, but lets not encourage their presence. Furthermore, there is only one-way to get rid of split-ends: getting them cut off. For those who like to pick and peal, realize that these actions do more to damage hair than to repair it.

Hair health is not just limited to topical actions and treatments; it goes all the way to your roots.

If you do not eat well, it will show in your hair. Hair is extremely dependent on four major things we consume: proteins, water, vitamins and minerals. Proteins make up much of each individual hair and the more you eat the faster your hair will grow and the stronger it will be (decreasing the likelihood of breakage).

Water, not just the kind you put on your hair, but also the kind you put in your hair is extremely important; well-hydrated hair is shinier and softer. Vitamins like A, B, and C promote scalp health and protect the strands from damage, especially for those who dye and fry. These can be consumed or used as a productive topical treatment. Minerals like zinc, copper and iron build hair protein, give hair much of its pigment, and deliver oxygen to the hair. If you weren’t sure, now you know that what you eat is a big part of how your hair looks.

Now for the most important part: styling tips.

Just because the hair-do took a long time to do, that doesn’t mean it looks good. In fact, over processed hair is one of the biggest mistakes people make. Dye, straightening, curling, blow drying and other hair altering procedures are great in moderation, but when they are abused, it makes your hair look like straw. Dying, for example, can add color and texture for those who have thin, oily hair, but for those who dye to match their mood, know one thing: your hair hates you!

Simple styles are easy to do and are sometimes the best looking ones. Here are just a few of my favorites: Girls with straight hair: Wash. Blow-dry on the cool setting with a large flat brush. Pull your hair back in a simple ponytail. Push forward for a small “poof” and secure with two Bobbi pins (if you need 1-2 more on your under layers that’s fine, but anymore and you will just look like a pin head). Finish with a soft styling wax or natural pump-spray.Girls with very thick curls: Wash. Allow for time to air dry. While still damp, add any kind of hair serum to reduce frizzing. Use some complex styling wax to help give ringlets their individual appearance. Do not apply mousse (it gives more volume and may encourage frizzing).Girls with thin stringy hair: Wash. Blow-dry on a warm setting with a round brush. Flip your hair and spray a small amount of aerosol hair spray on under layers and allow 30 seconds to dry. Flip it back over and add some mousse to the upper layers. Style it lightly with a flat brush, and finish spray with a light springy holding spray.Boys with straight hair: Wash. Allow for time to air dry. While still damp, comb over to one side. Once hair is dry, add a small amount of spray to keep hairs in place.Boys with curly hair: Wash. Allow time to air dry. While still damp add hair serum to reduce frizz. Once dry, run fingers though hair with very little viscous wax-paste.

Everyone may not agree with my opinions on style, but if just a few people took some of my hair care instructions, I will be happy. Be open to trying new things, you might be pleasantly surprised at what you find. Hair is an important thing; make sure yours is living up to its potential.

And when you do take my suggestions to heart and someone tells you how great your hair looks, you can proudly say, “I know, right?”