Women’s soccer falls in C-USA, heads to NCAA

SMUs Alyssa Pembroke (right) fights for the ball against Colorado Colleges Lisa Balsama (left) on Friday.
Nick McCarthy
SMU’s Alyssa Pembroke (right) fights for the ball against Colorado College’s Lisa Balsama (left) on Friday.

SMU’s Alyssa Pembroke (right) fights for the ball against Colorado College’s Lisa Balsama (left) on Friday. (Nick McCarthy)

The Women’s soccer team was shocked Friday night by Colorado College in the semifinal round of the Conference USA Tournament.

The Tigers didn’t play like a team that went into double overtime in their first round game as they came out with something to prove against the top-seeded Mustangs.

The No. 5 Colorado College Tigers defeated the No. 4 seed UTEP on Wednesday night and continued their surprising run with a 4-1 victory over SMU.

It took just seven minutes into the game for the Tigers to get on the board. It was off a corner kick when Amara Wilson headed the ball into the goal.

Just over one minute later, Colorado College nabbed a two-goal lead when an Emily Bean shot deflected off a SMU defender in the box.

But in the 38th minute, the Mustangs got on the board thanks to a corner kick rebounded and shot in by Kirsten Moran and the Mustangs were only one at halftime.

The Mustangs were able to take the early momentum away from the Tigers and make a late push, but coming out of the locker room, Colorado College was able to get it back.

Just 11 minutes into the second half, Colorado College was able to take back its two-goal lead on yet another corner kick. This time it was Alexa Bannerman who headed the ball past SMU goalkeeper Ashley Gunter.

The Mustangs gave themselves multiple chances toward the end of the game to come back, but were unable to capitalize on any of them.

The offensive force turned into a golden opportunity for Colorado College’s Kelly LaVoie who got herself a one-on-one with Gunter. LaVoie was able to get the ball by Gunter and the Tigers took a 4-1 lead with just six and a half minutes left in the game.

This is the second time the Mustangs have entered the C-USA Tournament with the No. 1 seed and have come up empty. Last season, SMU lost to East Carolina in the opening round on penalty kicks.

In the later game, No. 7 UAB defeated No. 3 Memphis and moved on to defeat Colorado College in the championship game 3-2. It was UAB’s second conference championship in three years.

Even after the second round loss, SMU still had two players named to the All-Tournament team, Kimber Bailey and Carley Phillips.

The SMU women’s soccer team made the NCAA Tournament for the sixth straight season and is the Mustangs’ 12th appearance ever. SMU will play the winners of the Southland Conference, McNeese State, on Friday at 3:30 p.m. at College Station in the first round.

SMU’s Alyssa Pembroke (right) and Colorado College’s Lisa Balsama (left) go after the ball during Friday’s C-USA semifinal round at Westcott. (Nick McCarthy)

Colorado College’s Alexa Bannerman (left) pushes past SMU’s Kimber Bailey (right) during the C-USA semifinal. (Nick McCarthy)