Volleyball to take on Golden Hurricane

The SMU volleyball team continues on its roller coaster of a season as they went 1-1 again last weekend against Rice and Houston. The Mustangs fell 1-3 to Rice on Friday but were able to defeat Houston 3-2 on Sunday. The trip to Houston put the Mustangs at 14-13 for the season and 5-8 in conference play.

Rachel Giubilato, Caitlin Rainbird and Madison Hill all posted double-doubles in the loss to Rice. Giubilato had 20 kills and 15 blocks, as well as two service aces. Rainbird had 18 kills and 10 digs while Hill put up 12 assists and 16 digs for her fourth consecutive double-double.

SMU had an even better match on Sunday when they overtook the Cougars. Four Mustangs notched double-digit kills during the victory. Freshman Kendra Kahanek had 12 kills, Rainbird posted 22 kills, sophomore Natalie Peters nailed 15 kills and Giubilato earned another double-double with 16 kills and a career-high 24 digs. Freshman Candace Davis and junior Madison Hill each had 10 digs in the match.

SMU continues its short road trip as the team heads to Tulsa, Okla., for Saturday’s match-up. The Mustangs faced the Golden Hurricane earlier in the 2006 season and lost 3-0. Tulsa retained its No. 1 C-USA ranking with a victory over Rice this past weekend.

Tip off is scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday at Tulsa University.