Support our soccer teams!

Ed Board thinks that SMU soccer doesn’t get enough love

Ed Board loves SMU soccer teams: both the men and the women. The teams have made an impressive appearance in the C-USA Tournaments, which began on Wednesday.

The men shut out FIU 6-0 in Tulsa, Okla. in the quarterfinal game. The six Mustang goals set a Conference USA championship single game record. The Mustangs take on UAB tomorrow night in Tulsa, which will advance them to the final round.

The men are ranked No. 2 in the nation. The nation! Hello?! How many of you Louis-Vuitton toting people knew that? We’re guessing not enough students even realize the magnitude of greatness the soccer teams possesses.

The men’s chamionship game will be on CSTV on Sunday at 1 p.m. and will be played in Tulsa.

Now, Ed Board realizes that most of you will not make the five-hour road trip to the great state of Oklahoma to cheer on the Mustangs, but lucky for you, the women are playing right here at Westcott Field (that’s on SMU campus, for those of you who are totally clueless about sports).

The women have also been rocking this season, and they have a great home-field advantage for the C-USA tournament….if students will show up in their red and blue. (Bonus: admission is FREE with your SMU ID. How much better does it get?)

The women currently hold the No. 1 seed in the C-USA Tournament and they are ranked 22 in the nation. The women beat Tulsa 1-0 on Wednesday. The Mustangs will play Colorado College Friday evening at 5 p.m.

The SMU women’s team possesses both the Offensive and Defensive C-USA Players of the Year with Olivia O’Rear (forward) and Ashley Gunter (goalkeeper), respectively. Coach John Cossaboon earned C-USA Coach of the Year honors as well.

Who knew SMU had such a great name in the soccer world?

But the women need us to be there. Players of all sports have repeatedly said that having a supportive crowd can make or break the outcome of the game.

So, when you’re hungover in your dorm room, walk on over to Westcott Field to support the ladies at the 3 p.m. game. You really don’t have any excuses. It’s on campus, it’s free and it won’t be that cold this weekend. SMU will look so good on TV Sunday if the stands are full of screaming fans. We did it for football on Tuesday. Let’s do it again for women’s soccer.