Women’s tournament brings excitement to Westcott

SMUs Katie Leonard (right) and Tulsas Emily McElrath (left) struggle for the ball during the first game of the C-USA conference tournament at Westcott Field.
SMU’s Katie Leonard (right) and Tulsa’s Emily McElrath (left) struggle for the ball during the first game of the C-USA conference tournament at Westcott Field.

Four games were played Wednesday in the women’s soccer Conference-USA Tournament. All four of them were one-goal games and three of them took double overtime to finish.

The only game that didn’t take overtime was the SMU 1-0 victory over Tulsa. The win puts the Mustangs in the semi-final match against Colorado College.

The Mustangs played the Tigers on Oct. 1 and defeated Colorado College 4-2 at Westcott.

Since the loss the Tigers have gone 6-2 including their 2-1 double overtime victory over UTEP on Wednesday.

The Mustangs were the only team to not give up a goal in the opening round of the tournament continuing strong defensive play that has been there all season.

The Tigers’ offense came from Jamie Maltman who only played 40 minutes in the game, but made a huge difference.

It was Maltman who got the scoring started for Colorado College in the 38th minute and the Tigers held the 1-0 score into halftime.

UTEP tied the game in the 60th minute with a goal from Melissa Abraham. The game stayed tied for the next 43 minutes that saw the game go into double overtime.

It was in the 103rd minute that Maltman struck again. This time it was a one-timer that would move the No. 5 seeded Tigers past the No. 4 seeded Miners and into the Semifinals.

The Mustangs road to the semifinals was a little shorter, 13 minutes to be exact.

SMU was able to defeat the Tulsa Golden Hurricane in regulation Wednesday night 1-0.

The Mustangs were the only team to finish in 90 minutes and not allow a goal.

The lone score of the game came from junior Kimber Bailey from sister Krystal Bailey in the 51st minute of the game.

Mustang goalkeeper Ashley Gunter only had to make three saves to earn her 10th shutout of the season.

The Mustangs played without seniors Olivia O’Rear and Morgan Field on Wednesday.

The Mustangs will face Colorado College at 5 p.m. and UAB will take on Memphis at 7:30 p.m. Friday.

The winners from each game will play each other at 3 p.m. for the C-USA Championship.