NASCAR has full schedule at TMS

NASCAR’s three national series are racing at Texas Motor Speedway this weekend as the sport winds down its 2006 campaign.

With only three events left in each series, one series champ has been crowned, but two are still hotly contested.

The NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series will race the Silverado 350k tonight. NEXTEL Cup regular Clint Bowyer earned the first pole position of his NASCAR career Thursday night.

Series points leader Todd Bodine has won three of the last four NCTS races at TMS. If Bodine can find another win at TMS, he will tie Brendan Gaughan’s four consecutive wins at the track.

Bodine was 27th fastest in the final practice session and was able to move up one spot on the speed charts in qualifying to start 26th.

The NASCAR Busch Series O’Reilly Challenge is on Saturday. The entry list of 48 drivers will be pared down to 43 during qualifying today.

While Kevin Harvick has been the class of field all season and mathematically clinched the championship three weeks ago, the race is still worth watching.

Former Formula 1 driver Juan Pablo Montoya will make his second Busch Series start as he prepares to take on a full NEXTEL Cup schedule in 2007. The seven-time series champ is getting his first taste of stock car racing with Chip Ganassi Racing, who will put Montoya in its No. 42 car next season.

The weekend’s main event is the NEXTEL Cup Dickies 500. It is the seventh race in NASCAR’s Chase for the NEXTEL Cup, stock car racing’s version of the playoffs. With a $7.1 million prize pool, it is the richest race in the Chase.

Five different Chase drivers have won a Cup race at Texas Motor Speedway, but there has never been a repeat Cup winner at the track.

“Texas” Terry Labonte will be making his 848th and final NASCAR start on Sunday. The two-time NASCAR champion, whose brother Bobby drives the No. 43 Dodge in the Cup Series and son Justin competes in the truck and Busch series, will be treated to a special tribute before the race. Sponsor Kellogg’s has provided a commemorative paint scheme to mark the event.

The No. 96 Hall of Fame Racing Chevy, co-owned by former Dallas Cowboys stars Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach, will also sport a special paint scheme. The car, sponsored by Texas Instruments, will have a blue and silver scheme based on the colors of the Dallas Cowboys.

For continuing coverage of the race weekend at Texas Motor Speedway, visit www.smudailycampus.com.