Java City offically opens up

Students walking through the Hughes-Trigg Student Center’s west entrance in recent days have likely been hit with the aroma of fresh coffee and baked goods wafting from an unfamiliar location.

In the niche of the Student Center formerly occupied by the SMU Computer Corner and Montague’s Deli, the new Java City Cyber Café was dedicated Wednesday amid free samples, fanfare and an introduction to some of the people responsible for the renovations.

Director of Auxiliary Services Julie Wiksten welcomed the mid-morning crowd with a brief history of the project, which began almost two years ago.

“We heard from students, faculty and staff,” she said, “and what they wanted was coffee, coffee and more coffee.”

SMU Dining Services worked with ARAMARK Food Service to develop an area for students to convene, relax and have such commodities as coffee, smoothies and pastries readily available.

Keeping the needs of students in mind, Hughes-Trigg — referred to by some as “the living room of the SMU campus” — seemed like the ideal spot for the new cyber café.

With the help of Student Center Director Tim Moore, Campus Planning and Plant Operations Project Manager Roy Cole and Dining Services Director Barry Wells, Wiksten said, “the convenient location became a reality.”

As Student Body President Liz Healy pointed out, “Java City is an example of what can happen when students and faculty work together to make SMU a better place.”

One of the new features of Java City will be extended hours. Members of the SMU community are now able to get their favorite caffeinated concoction until midnight, seven nights a week.

Moore explained that students will also have access to the Java City’s 16 computers 24 hours a day.

He then stated that student talent is going to be showcased within the cyber café each week beginning after Labor Day.

“The mission of the Student Center,” Moore continued, “is to be a place where community can be built. We hope Java City fulfills that mission.”