Fourth annual Asian Film Festival comes to Dallas

The Fourth Annual Asian Film Festival of Dallas opened this past Thursday. With the solid line-up that is being shown concurrently at both the Dallas Museum of Art and The Magnolia Theatre, there should be no doubt in anyone’s mind that some of the best film being produced (in this the era of Michael Bay/Jerry Bruckheimer-type dominance) is coming out of Asia. This is not just limited to the “magical realist” kung-fu epics of the “Hero”/”Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” vein, either. Passionate crime dramas, bizarre sci-fi comedies, intense hostage thrillers and politically charged documentaries all dot this year’s schedule.

The Centerpiece film, shown Sunday evening, is actually two films, “Infernal Affairs I” and “II.” This duo, which deals with organized crime in Hong Kong, is part of a trilogy that also includes “Infernal Affairs III,” released in 2003. “Infernal Affairs II” is actually the prequel to “Infernal Affairs,” which tells a complex story of two double agents, one cop and one gangster, both infiltrating the opposing side without the other knowing of their true intentions. Or at least that is how it starts out. The rest of film deals with the psychological crisis of both men’s struggle with their dual identities and the responsibilities of finding their counterpart. While this is far from an original filmic structure, the masterfully handled suspense and killer ending keeps “Infernal Affairs” from being another staid crime thriller.

Don’t worry if you missed the viewing on Sunday. Thanks to the wonderful world of the DVD, many of the films being shown at the festival are currently available through the overseas market (or will have a broad U.S. release in the upcoming months). While this puts somewhat of a damper on the exclusivity of the films being shown, there is something to be said for watching them on the “big screen.” Seeing so many different types of films together, in such a sort period of time, allows one to fully grasp the breathtaking complexity of Asian cinema. The closing film, “Save the Green Planet,” will be shown Friday night at the Dallas Museum of Art. The screening begins at 7:30 p.m. and will be followed by a reception.

Tickets are $5.50 -$10 and can be purchased at the Magnolia Box Office or at the door. Tickets for the “Save the Green Planet” will be available from festival volunteers at the Magnolia or at the door. Cash or Check only. For more information please visit www.affd.org.