Senate focuses on alcohol policies

The Student Senate quickly resumed business at its first meeting of the year Tuesday afternoon.

After a quick greeting by new Student Body President Liz Healy, students representing SMU RIDES were called to the speaker’s podium to present their plans for the reinstatement of the program.

SMU RIDES provides free taxi services to students who find themselves stranded without a ride or cannot safely drive back to campus themselves. The program, which failed last year due to conflicts with taxi companies and insurance policies, can begin again with a $5,000 commitment from Student Senate.

President Turner announced at a press conference this morning that SMU RIDES is back, and while Senate Advisor Thomas Hailey assured that the program will be funded by some other means if Student Senate does not vote to support it, he hopes the senators do align themselves with the organization.

Later in the meeting, Dedman II Senator Jaclyn Durr also encouraged senators to support the SMU RIDES program.

“It’s a great thing, something that the SMU community needs and it is something that a lot of our benchmark institutions have,” she said.

In addition to the SMU RIDES program, there was an in-depth discussion regarding tailgating on Bishop Boulevard. This year, there will be two checkpoints on the Boulevard where someone will check IDs and provide wristbands to those who are 21 and older so that they may acquire and drink alcohol. Healy hopes the wristbands and other precautions such as putting up fences around the backs of tents will deter underage drinking during tailgating.

“Last year, the TABC [Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission] came in October and issued citations to underage drinkers and gave the school a warning,” Healy said. “It’s extremely important to adhere to these new policies. If we get shut down, that’s it.”

Other business of the meeting included the inauguration of new senators, the appointment of Senator Max Roberts to chair of the Investment Committee and presentations by committee chairs of their goals for the year. Additionally, Hailey, who is new to advising the senate this year, introduced himself and provided advice to senators.

“Do your research, prepare what you have to say and base discussion on fact,” Hailey said. “All of us have to work together to represent the 11,000 people on this campus. At the end of the year, you will be very proud of what the senate will achieve.”