So, how’s the weather?

Ed Board’s tips for staying healthy in this terrible heat

So, you’re walking to class in the burning heat of Dallas in August. You may be causing yourself severe harm without even realizing it.

Temperatures are expected to hit the hundred-degree mark today and the rest of this week.

Weather like this can cause many health problems, some more subtle than others.

First, there’s the heat itself. Several Americans die every summer from heat related causes. That’s just the number from heat stroke and heat exhaustion.

High temperatures also make people more mentally and physically sluggish, increasing the chance of accidents.

OSHA (Occupational Health and Safety Administration) has some suggestions.

Drink plenty of water — about one cup of cool water every 15 to 20 minutes, even if you are not thirsty — and avoid alcohol, coffee, tea and caffeinated soft drinks that dehydrate the body.

Avoid being out during the hottest portion of the day (11 am to 3 p.m.).

Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing.

Schedule strenuous work for cooler times of the day.

There’s also the sun to consider. Heat increases the effects of UV rays, which means that you’re much more likely to get a sunburn some time in the next few days.

Even one sunburn dramatically increases your chances of developing skin cancer at some point in your life.

The American Academy of Dermatology recommends that you avoid deliberate sunbathing, wear a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses and protective clothing (the darker, the better).

Now some might think that’s ridiculous. When the sun’s out, you should use it to get a great tan right?

Nope. According to the AAD, a suntan is an indication of the skin’s response to recent skin damage.

Also regular tanning at a young age results in leathery disgusting skin later in life, and nobody wants that.

Now we’d like to discuss the more subtle dangers of extreme heat.

High temperatures increase the level of ozone in the air. This causes respiratory problems and increases one’s chances of developing cancer.

Since it’s in the air, ozone is harder to avoid. However, limiting your time outside on hot days is still the best method.

And finally, we’d like to remind everyone that helpless things (puppies, small children) shouldn’t be left inside vehicles, especially on hot days.