Miami Horror brings fresh musical movement to Granada

This Thursday night at the Granada, the group Miami Horror will be featured as they perform songs from their recent album titled “Illumination.”

The Australian group is known for utilizing catchy computer generated loops, poppy electronic melodies, and retro synths — all combined with a strong early eighties influence.

As far as placing Miami Horror in a single genre, one might make the brave step of classifying them under the fairly new “chillwave” movement that has seen a rise in popularity since the beginning of the recession in 2007.

Despite the movement’s success, the new term “chillwave” has seen much controversy between various parties in the music world.

Some say the term falsely assumes that this type of music’s sound is completely new and organic, and that the genre’s bands have only copied the electro movement seen in the early eighties and simply attached a new name to it.

Controversy aside, many consider the birth of “chillwave” as direct response to the recession.  The New York Times describes the music by saying, “It’s recession-era music: low-budget and danceable.”

Miami Horror is set to come on stage around 8 p.m. at the Granada, and following the show they will perform a DJ set at PM Nightlife Lounge that is sure to attract the stylish crowd that is often hard to find amongst the bland Dallas night club scene.

If you’re looking to expand your music horizons or you just want a fun night out in Dallas, this is definitely a concert you don’t want to miss.

Other chillwave bands to check out:

Neon Indian

Washed Out

Memory Tapes