No pass no play for Hopkins in fall semester

Photo by Nate Regan, The Daily Campus

No pass no play for Hopkins in fall semester (Photo by Nate Regan, The Daily Campus)

Bryan Hopkins, the SMU basketball team’s leading scorer, is academically ineligible for the fall 2005 semester.

Hopkins, a senior from Dallas who averaged 17.9 points per game last season, is expected to miss the first seven games of the 2005-2006 season.

He won’t be eligible to return until the start of the second semester.

In Hopkins’ three seasons, the Mustangs have been 1-4 when he hasn’t played.

Hopkins told the Dallas Morning News that he struggled in two spring semester classes and failed to recover during summer school, but he’s still on course to graduate with a degree in economics.

“Bryan means a lot to the team and the program. We will miss him but we’ll be a better and stronger team when he returns,” said Head Coach Jimmy Tubbs.

Hopkins declared for the NBA draft in March before deciding to return for his senior year.

“I just got distracted by my classes while I was thinking about the NBA. That’s pretty much it. Of course I’m disappointed, but I’ll take care of things,” said Hopkins in an interview with Calvin Watkins of the Dallas Morning News.

Hopkins is not the only one disappointed about his ineligibility. SMU basketball fans across campus are devastated by the news about Hopkins.

“It’s very unfortunate he isn’t where he needs to be. Hopefully the team can rally together past it until he gets back,” said SMU alumni Brian Vidrik.

Hopkins was supposed to move from point guard to shooting guard this season. Kansas State transfer Dez Willingham of DeSoto is scheduled to take over at point guard.

Tubbs must find a replacement for Hopkins at shooting guard until the start of second semester. Tubbs said he has some ideas who the position will go to but it’s still up for grabs.

According to Tubbs the position will go to the player who plays the best and works the hardest.

“We have a young team. There aren’t a lot of veterans and not enough experience to know who will start until the official start of the season on Oct. 15,” said Tubbs.

SMU could opt to push sophomore Derrick Roberts from small forward to shooting guard until Hopkins returns.

The SMU basketball team will continue to work hard until Hopkins returns. Tubbs said if he does what he’s supposed to do he’d be back on time for spring semester games.

“It’s easy to lose sight of short term goals when something you’ve dreamed of your entire life seems in grasp. I know he will do what he needs to do to be ready for second semester,” said former SMU basketball member Trent Redden.