Matt The Electrician disappoints

Underground Austin artist Matt the Electrician’s latest CD, Long Way Home, shorted out for me in the first song.

Although Matt Sever is one of 10 finalists in the 2005 Telluride Bluegrass Festival Troubadour Competition, his music is simply too dull to be enjoyable. “Valedictorian,” the album’s hit song according to Matt’s Web site, is catchy enough at first. The singer/song writer tells a story about his high school valedictorian that stripped during her speech at graduation and the pandemonium that followed thereafter.

While the lyrics are charismatic, it is not until about two minutes into the four minute and nineteen second song that you realize there is no chorus. The song lacks any kind of hook. There is no way this one will get stuck in your head. It just does not give off any sparks.

After the first song, I was deeply disappointed in Matt the Electrician. However, I still had some hope for the rest of the CD.

Much to my dismay, the rest of the album was the exact same way. There were some good stories, but the album has no memorable songs. The one that actually comes closest to being a single that would fair well is “$100 Bill”, which also happens to be the only song on the CD not written by Matt Sever.

Even though Matt went through the pains of renewing his license as an electrician so he that was not misrepresenting himself, the album seems to be the biggest misrepresentation of all. After being so disappointed, I logged onto his Web site to check out some clips from his live shows. They were fantastic, full of the energy and life that seems to completely be missing from Long Way Home.

I do have to say this for the guy: The CD, which can be purchased for $15 through cdbaby.com, an online CD store, is the perfect music to play through your iPod ear buds when your suitemates are making it impossible to fall asleep. Matt the Electrician will be performing at Bend Studio on McKinney Avenue, Saturday, Aug 27 at 8 p.m.