Volleyball struggles, hangs on for win over Tulsa

The Mustang volleyball team kicked off its Conference USA schedule Tuesday with a 3-2 win over the Tulsa Golden Hurricane in Moody Coliseum.

SMU (5-5, 1-0 C-USA) took the first game by a score of 30-24. Sophomore Rachel Giubilato solidified the victory with one of her team-high 21 kills.

With 25 points to lead all players, Giubilato was one of four Mustangs with over 10 points, joining sophomore Caitlin Rainbird, freshman Natalie Peters and senior Kelly Larkan.

“This was a really important game for us,” Larkan said.

Following the Golden Hurricane’s 9-1 record to start the non-conference season, she continued, “we knew they had some momentum.”

The second game went to Tulsa (9-2, 0-1 C-USA), 30-26, thanks to a strong effort from Amy Meyer, who led the Golden Hurricane with 23 kills and 23.5 points in the game.

After halftime, the Mustangs charged back with a 30-23 win to put them on top, two games to one.

Though SMU jumped ahead with an early 6-2 lead, Tulsa would tie the game at 17 before junior Jeanette Evanco helped her team pull away with some clutch defense. She set the pace with a team-high 28 digs in the game.

“Our defense was crucial,” Larkan said, “and we all hit really well.”

After Tulsa’s 30-26 win in the fourth game, the teams prepared for a decisive fifth match.

An attack error by Tulsa’s Meyer set up the game-winning block for the Mustangs’ Peters. SMU tallied 16 blocks in the game, hanging on to win 3-2.

According to Larkan, the team is pleased with its C-USA opener.

“This was a key win for us because our biggest goal is to win our conference,” she said.

The team will travel to Fullerton, Calif. this weekend to play in the Fullerton Invite. SMU will first take on the Loyola Marymount University Lions Friday at 5:30 p.m. CST.

The Mustangs return home Friday, Sept. 23 to host the University of Central Florida Golden Knights. The game is set for 7 p.m. in Moody Coliseum.