The horror never ends

Dallas offers spooky, fun Halloween options
Autumn at the Arboretum is a Halloween outing that features more than  40,000 decorated pumpkins.
Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus
Autumn at the Arboretum is a Halloween outing that features more than 40,000 decorated pumpkins.

Autumn at the Arboretum is a Halloween outing that features more than 40,000 decorated pumpkins. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

Whoever said Halloween was for children has never experienced a frightfully fun time in Dallas. Young adults can celebrate without going door-to-door snagging mass quantities of sugary goodness from Highland Park families. Whether it’s autumn festivals to costume parties, to movies on the lawn, the city of Dallas has something for everyone. So don’t spend the week on the couch, go explore everything Dallas has to offer.

For adrenaline junkies, visit Six Flags over Texas for Fright Fest. Shows, attractions and haunted houses take over the theme park when night falls This is the largest Halloween festival in North Texas, but hurry because the last night for this bone-chilling event is Wednesday.

I Heart Cinema, an organization that connects movie lovers to screenings and film events, is throwing a “spooktacular” viewing party at the Texas Theatre. The feature film will be none other than the classic film, Halloween. There will be a DJ from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and live music from Savage and the Big Beat following the film.

For foodies, visit any Chipotle location dressed in costume after 4 p.m. on Wednesday and scare up a $2 burrito. All proceeds, up to $1 million, benefit the Chipotle Cultivate Foundation. Patrons in costume can also enter the costume contest for a chance to win $2500.

Costume parties can be a great way to celebrate Halloween. SMU Kappa Sigma’s Heaven & Hell annual bash has been ranked as one of the top college parties in the nation by Playboy magazine. Festivities will take place on Friday, Nov. 1. Busses leave from sorority park at 9:30 p.m.

One can also go see the beauty of fall at Autumn at the Arboretum, which is going on until Nov. 21 at the Dallas Arboretum. A Sleepy Hollow and Cinderella themed pumpkin patch will grace the festival. It’s the perfect location for a fall date or a night of family bonding. There are over 66 acres of more than 40,000 uniquely decorated pumpkins and gourds. The Arboretum is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

For those who love to be scared, there are dozens of haunted houses in the DFW area. The Cutting Edge is a favorite. Located in downtown Fort Worth, The Cutting Edge holds the Guinness World Record for the planet’s largest walk through haunted house. The attraction has also been featured on the Travel Channel and in the pages of Hauntworld magazine. Hangman’s House of Horrors is another great house thats donates more than $1.7 million to charity.

If haunted houses are too contrived, take a local tour of paranormal activity. The Parker county tour looks at two cemeteries and a “glowing” tombstone, while the Arlington tour focuses on the story of the “screaming bridge.”

For those who fall into the 21 and up crowd, Dick’s Last Resort will host its second annual “Most Inappropriate” Halloween Costume Wednesday. A $1000 cash prize will be awarded to the most wildly offensive outfit. This event is not for the politically correct or faint of heart.

House of Blues is rocking out this Halloween with its “Howling Halloween Party” featuring Back to Blue. The doors open at 7 p.m. and there will be a costume contest for a chance to win free concert tickets. This event is open to all ages and there is no entrance fee.

No matter what students plan to do this Halloween, there are plenty of ways to make the best out of this spooky holiday.

“I’m going to Kappa Sig’s Heaven and Hell this year because its been the best Halloween party since I was a freshman. It’s been ranked in Playboy and is always hoping,” junior Eleanor Rosler said.