Mustangs hope for Cougar letdown

SMU controls its destiny in Conference-USA
Brandon Bonds is a force on the Mustangs defensive line which will need to be strong against a high powered Cougar offense.
Brandon Bonds is a force on the Mustangs’ defensive line which will need to be strong against a high powered Cougar offense.

SMU has had 10 days to prepare for Saturday afternoon’s game against Houston. The Cougars are coming off a big win at home against Tulsa.

The win for Houston gave them the lead in the West Division of Conference-USA. With only two games left this season it is possible that the Cougars could be looking past the Mustangs.

The Mustangs have lived and died by the play of red-shirt freshman quarterback Justin Willis. When Willis turned his game around after rough outings against Texas Tech and North Texas the Mustangs followed right behind him. The Mustangs flourished against Sam Houston, Arkansas State and Tulane. Without Willis in El Paso, the Mustangs lost a tough game against the Miners.

Willis and the Mustang’s offense hasn’t been clicking the past two games and have a 1-1 to show for it.

If there is one common denominator this season it has been Gerald J. Ford Stadium. The Mustangs post an impressive 4-0 record this season and along with winning the last two home games of the 2005 season, SMU has a six-game home winning streak.

A 1-4 record on the road proves the Mustangs play better at home.

SMU is in the final stretch of the season, and they will face three challenges to round out the season.

The top two teams in the West Division of C-USA, Tulsa and Houston, and a team they haven’t beaten on the road in 20 years, Rice.

But just like Houston, the Mustangs can’t get ahead of themselves either.

So with the focus on Houston the Mustangs have to continue their success at home, and build on what they have been able to do at Ford Stadium.

An offense that saw a home low 148 passing yards, and the fewest passing yards in a win needs to play better against a tougher opponent.

Willis was visably disapointed after Tuesday’s performance and has shown he can do better, and his numbers prove it.

Willis averages only 177 passing yards per game, but that number is brought down from his first two games throwing for only 69 yards against Texas Tech, and 112 yards against North Texas.

The Mustangs rushing game started to pick up last week.

After only gaining 89 yards against East Carolina, the Mustangs reached the 100-yard mark again with 110 yards on the ground.

DeMyron Martin was back in action after missing the previous two games. Martin ran for 38 yards on 13 carries and left the game with another injury.

The running game was highlighted by a James Mapps 30-yard touchdown run that gave the Mustangs a 15-9 lead after being down 9-7.

The Mustangs will look to their defense if they are going to have a chance against the Cougars on Saturday.

Houston brings one of the top quarterbacks in college football in Kevin Kolb. Along with Kolb comes his prime target, Vincent Marshall who holds several Houston team records.

But the passing game isn’t all the Mustangs have to stop. The Cougars bring two top running backs with very different running styles.

Jackie Battle is a power runner, while Anthony Alridge is a quick back.

Keys to the game

The Mustangs must continue what they have done at home.

SMU posts a plus seven in turnovers at home, and only a plus two overall.

After consecutive above 50 percent success rate on third down conversions the Mustangs slipped on Tuesday going only 4-10.

SMU has to keep the ball out of a potent Houston offense.

The Mustangs can’t get into an offensive battle with Houston. But they are going to have to put points on the board.

The Mustangs must win this game to keep their conference hopes alive. And they should be able to do just that.

Justin Willis will need to be on his game against Houston. (Christina Parrish)