Marriage is a grown-up thing!

Ed Board thinks students need to realize its implications

Forget all the controversy over gay marriage. There’s a much more pressing matrimonial issue facing students: getting married too young.

Ed Board has noticed a lot of our peers getting engaged or married and we have to wonder: why now? College is supposed to be the most independent time of our lives. We understand falling in love with someone… but what’s the rush? Wouldn’t it be more fun to enjoy the college experience and wait to get married after graduation?

There are a number of reasons students choose to get married so young. When a number of friends are getting engaged, it’s easy to feel left out. But remember, you’re not the only one playing the role of groomsman or bridesmaid. The majority of students will remain single until after college.

Another possible reason students could jump into marriage is feeling as though they need a change or to fill a lonely void in their lives. The time of the most maturation of our personalities is during college, and because of this, this time period can be marked with a lonely emotional state of mind. Getting married is not the solution to this problem. In fact, considering the likelihood of a personality change, committing yourself to someone for life is a pretty bad idea. Ed Board is in no way condemning relationships. Being in a relationship with someone is one of the most fulfilling aspects of living. But getting married is not the answer to lonliness or boredom.

Getting married is also not simply “the next step” in your relationship. Just because you’ve dated for a few months, doesn’t mean you’re ready for holy matrimony! If the relationship is starting to feel like it’s not moving forward, talk about it with your significant other. Try new and exciting dates or going out with other couples.

If you really are in love and can’t stand to be single any longer, think about the consequences of your actions. Married students have different responsibilities and interests than either single students or married non-students. Being a newlywed is hard for everyone, but especially students. Not only do you have classes to attend, you have many bills to pay, homework to be done, tests to study for, meetings to go to, and a spouse to be attentive to. To be a married student, you must be mature, understanding, responsible and capable of budgeting your time.

Ed Board doesn’t mean to be a Debbie Downer to anyone out there considering marriage. Marriage during college can absolutely succeed under certain circumstances. But entering into marriage is not something to be taken lightly. It takes sacrifice and commitment and an enormous amount of love and devotion.

So, if you and your significant other are really and truly ready, by all means take the plunge. (We’ll be checking our mail for the fancy invitation.) But if there’s any doubt in your mind, or if you suspect you’re getting married for the wrong reasons, then do the rising divorce rate a favor and wait.