Flu Shots still available at SMU

Many students decided to take a proactive measure to head off the flu by getting flu shots from the Memorial Health Center over the past two weeks.

Around 1,750 shots were administered, with about 15 percent going to faculty members and about 80 percent of those going to students.

“I got mine because I got the flu last year,” said Jamie Corley, a sophomore. “My mom made me.”

According to the Center for Disease Control, influenza is a contagious disease that spreads from person to person through coughing or sneezing and can only be caused by the influenza virus.

Symptoms of the flu include fever, cough, sore throat and fatigue, but some get much sicker, contracting worse diseases such as pneumonia.

The flu kills about 36,000 people each year.

A flu shot is an inactivated vaccine that is given by injection.

The influenza virus changes constantly, so the vaccines are updated every year.

For most people, the vaccine prevents serious influenza-related illness. High-risk students who should consider receiving a flu shot include those who live in dormitories or other crowded living conditions.

The best time to get a flu shot is in October or November. Patrick Hite promoted the clinics offered to students via emails to promote the flu drive.

“The drive has been pretty successful. About 300 student athletes received the shot, and over 1,000 other students came out to get theirs,” Hite said.

Students gave various reasons for not getting the shots.

Although advertised heavily, some students either were afraid or didn’t feel they had the time to get one.

“I am so afraid of needles,” said Stephanie Kokolis, a sophomore. The CDC says risks associated with the flu shot include mild soreness and redness where the shot was given, fever and aches. Life-threatening reactions from vaccines are very rare, but if they do occur it is within a few minutes to a few hours after the shot. Despite possible side effects, doctors recommend getting the shot.

“I just never really thought about it – I forgot about it,” said Katherine Yount, a sophomore.

If you fall into the group that might be timid, or those who couldn’t make the clinics, it’s not to late to get your flu shot. There are still approximately 550 shots available.

Students can go to the Health Center between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m.

The Heath Center is planning a similar drive that will provide vaccinations for women against the Human Papillomavirus, also known as HPV, coming up in January 2007.