Sororities come together to talk about issues

The women of the Alpha Kappa Alpha and Delta Sigma Theta sororities hosted a mental health program entitled “Who is the Master of Your Mind?” in the Hughes-Trigg Forum on Wednesday night. The focus of the program was to discuss relationships and bring black women together on campus.

Led by Alpha Kappa Alpha President Emily Graham and Delta Sigma Theta President Janicka Arthur, the meeting began by having all of the attendees write down what was bothering them in the following categories: themselves, their boyfriends, their friends, their opponents and their God. The women then placed the slips of paper in a box.

Sorority members led discussions in the aforementioned areas. The dialogue on self covered topics such as respect, love and self-esteem.

“I think women can wake up in the morning and get frustrated if something’s not going right,” Graham said. “We need to be loyal when it comes to loving ourselves.”

“It’s all about people’s assumptions,” senior Susan Akinyemi said. “But at the end of the day, it’s between you and God. As long as you’re pleasing you in the best way you know how, you should love yourself.”

The women defined a true friend as someone who is trustworthy, honest, nonjudgmental and consistent.

They stressed being upfront with friends, and not letting envy turn friends into opponents.

“Envy is one of the deadliest things,” Graham said. “When you’re envious you want what another person has. It’s hatred. You can’t be in a friendship and be envious. That’s hate in your heart.” When it came to relationships with the opposite sex, the women agreed that they should let go of the past, take the lessons they have learned and apply those lessons to future relationships.

Spiritual life was the final category covered. “None of your other relationships can be successful without a relationship with God,” senior Whitney Feltus said. “We are here on Earth as instruments for God…being a Christian isn’t a title, it’s a lifestyle.”

Following discussion, the attendees gathered at the front of the room, held hands and said a prayer over the box.

They prayed that the burdens disclosed on the slips in the box be lightened. Each attendee was given a bracelet to symbolize unity.

“I really enjoyed the entire function,” sophomore Shalisha Galloway said. “I thought it was something black women needed to hear. The bracelets are a great idea and are a good first step in helping to promote unity. I have it on now and plan to wear it in the future.”

The sororities held the event during Harambe Week, which is put on by Program Council.

According to Graham, the week is dedicated to the promotion of African American history.

“We had this event because there needed to be more unity between African American women on SMU campus.

We also wanted to have a program on mental health. We’re for anything that will bring positivity,” Arthur said.