Volleyball bows out in C-USA first round

The SMU volleyball team ended its season Thursday in a 3-1 loss to the University of Central Florida in the first round of the Conference USA Tournament in Memphis, Tenn. The Mustangs finished with a 14-17 overall record and were 6-11 in conference.

Junior Kendra Kahanek continued to shine for the Mustangs, hitting.500 and picking up 10 kills in the match.

Despite the Mustangs’ solid attack, the Knights’ senior All-Conference outside hitter Stephanie Serna controlled the game with 18 kills and a .412 hitting efficiency. UCF’s Erin Campbell and Janine Williams each recorded double-doubles.

SMU finished the match with a .230 attack percentage, but UCF managed to hit .253.

Sophomore Kathryn Wilkerson led the Mustangs with 15 kills and a .263 attack percentage.

In the first set, the Mustangs’ offense came out strong, jumping to a 10-6 early lead. Senior Natalie Peters hit back-to-back kills, forcing the Golden Knights to take a timeout. The timeout allowed the Knights to regroup, and they stole the set from the Mustangs 25-19.

Fierce performances by freshmen Dana Powell and Kelli Becerra led SMU to a 25-14 second-set victory. The offense generated a .371 hitting percentage, and efficient assists from Becerra spurred the Mustangs offense.

Becerra finished with a team-high 23 assists.

In the final two sets, UCF broke the Mustangs’ powerful defense and escaped with narrow victories. Williams managed to split SMU’s commanding blocking tandem of Kahanek and Peters, which weakened the Mustangs’ second line of defense.

UCF prevailed off SMU’s errors on both the offensive and defensive ends, and thrived with Serna’s relentless attack. Serna led the team with 18 kills.

UCF controlled the contest defensively, out-blocking the Mustangs 11-10, and out-digging the Mustangs 62-60.

The loss ends the careers of seniors Stefanie Kons, who finished with five kills on Thursday, and Peters.

Peters was a co-captain, and Kons led the team in assists during her sophomore and junior seasons.