Rowing signs six for 2009-2010

The SMU rowing team’s future is starting to shape up with the recent news of the addition of six national letter of intent signees.

These players make their debut at SMU next year during the 2009-2010 season under head coach Doug Wright. The signing of Esther Kolkman, Jessie Lovell, Claira McElroy, Allison Talbot, Emily Carstens and Halley Learned brings not only significant talent to the rowing team, but also experience and leadership to the squad.

When addressing individual players, McElroy is bound to bring SMU a large amount of knowledge in rowing and skill. This 5-foot-10 signee from Miami, Fla., comes from the Miami Rowing Club, where she spent time redefining her technique and becoming a very skillful athlete.

“(McElroy) is a great competitor and combined with her technical skills,” said Wright. “That makes for a deadly combination.”

Kolkman, from Tacoma, Wash., is 5-foot-11 and brings valuable skills to the team from experience. Lovell, from Minneapolis, Minn., has spent the last two years taking part in a junior rowing club.

Wright brought in Carstens’ leadership, knowing that strong guidance is a fundamental part of the team. Both girls are 5-foot-11 and bring a certain level of commitment and excitement about the sport to the team.

“We are very excited to be adding Emily to our roster next fall because she is a born leader,” said Wright. “When she walks into the room, she demands attention and shows much potential to take command of the team throughout her four years at SMU.”

Coach Wright explained his excitement for Talbot, who raced for the Austin Rowing Club. “With Allison’s height and competitiveness, she has the tools be a real weapon for us. With her background, we know she is prepared well mentally, physically, and technically to move to the next level.”

Coach Wright expressed his excitement about the experience and talent these athletes will bring to team when asked about the future of the rowing team.

“I am very pleased with the quality of the athletes we have coming in next fall,” he said. “Not only do these girls have physical ability and height, but their talent level along with those other factors make a great combination. On top of that we not only recruit for skill, but also for character, and all of these girls will bring great values to the squad.”