Men’s soccer looks to continue C-USA hot streak

The No. 6 ranked SMU men’s soccer team will face Florida International on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Westcott Field. The Mustangs enter the match with an overall record of 8-2-2 and a 3-0-1 record in conference play. Their undefeated conference record has them atop the conference standings.

FIU is almost completely opposite of SMU this season. They have an overall record of 2-8-2, but are 2-2-0 in conference play. They started the season winless in their first 10, but are riding a two game winning streak into Dallas for the Sunday matchup.

The Golden Panthers’ offense has been stagnant over the course of the season, but has seen some life in their past two games. On the season, the Golden Panthers have averaged .78 goals per game. However, they have scored a total of five goals in their last two matches against UAB and Central Florida.

Defensively, the Golden Panthers have experienced inconsistent success. They have allowed an average of 1.81 goals per game, but have allowed only one goal on five occasions and shut out one team. The Golden Panthers defense can play well but have been sporadic of late.

The Golden Panthers’ first-year forward Steven Cabas currently leads the FIU offense in points (three goals, one assist). After Cabas, only one player has over four points on the entire season.

The Mustangs are riding a winning streak of their own into Sunday’s showdown. They are undefeated in their last seven games and have won four straight. During that streak, the Mustangs are averaging nearly three goals per game.

Offensively, the Mustangs are a balanced group with six players who have at least three goals and look strong in both the midfield and up front.

The midfield has been the most consistent part of the team, considering they have not suffered as many injuries and feature the most veterans of any other position. The midfielders always look to control the pace and tempo of the game, so the defense is not strained.

Up front, the return of Scott Geppert at the beginning of this undefeated streak has really bolstered the Mustangs offensive attack. He has scored three goals in seven games alongside sophomore Dane Saintus.

Geppert gives Coach Schellas Hyndman the ability to bring SMU’s leading goal scorer Richard Oliva off the bench. The rotation between the three players allows the forwards on the field to remain fresh in a position that requires immense stamina.

Defensively, the Mustangs have played well as a team. Steve Sandbo has been back in goal after missing two games and part of a third with injuries. The back line has allowed few goals with Adrian Chevannes and Ryan Mirsky. The back line did not allow much to UAB after its quick goal in the third minute.

With a win, the Mustangs will retain their place atop Conference USA and have a chance to move in to the top five of the NSCAA poll for the second time this season. SMU was ranked No. 3 after its 5-1 rout of Virginia.