Women’s basketball falls to 0-3

SMU guard LaShandra Hill drives to the basket in the home opener against University of Texas at Arlington on Nov. 14 at Moody Coliseum.
Lindsey Perkins

SMU guard LaShandra Hill drives to the basket in the home opener against University of Texas at Arlington on Nov. 14 at Moody Coliseum. (Lindsey Perkins)

The SMU women’s basketball team fell to 0-3 after dropping back-to-back road games last weekend to the University of Arkansas Razorbacks and the Eastern Illinois University Panthers.

The Razorbacks prevailed 78-69 on Friday, then the Mustangs were toppled in overtime by Eastern Illinois 71-65 on Monday.

In Monday’s loss to Eastern Illinois, Jillian Samuels hit a last-second 3-pointer to send the game into overtime. She finished with a season-high 17 points.

In the first meeting between Eastern Illinois and SMU, Samuels hit three 3-pointers to make her the fourth-leading 3-point shooter in SMU history with 131 in her career.

Brittany Gilliam recorded her first double-double of the season with 19 points, 10 rebounds, eight assists and five steals.

Despite EIU’s 44 percent 3-point shooting, the Mustangs had only 19 turnovers to the Panthers’ 24.

In the loss to Arkansas, three Mustangs posted double-figures in scoring for the second time this season.

Delisha Wills led Mustangs with a team-high 20 points and two steals. Wills also tied Gilliam with nine rebounds, falling just one rebound short of her second double-double of the season. Sophomore Haley Day posted a career-high 12 points.

The Mustangs captured a brief one-point lead about six minutes into the first half, but quickly surrendered the advantage. The Razorbacks pulled ahead by as many as nine points with just less than one minute remaining in regulation.

Despite a perfect performance from the free-throw line in the first half (6-of-6), SMU shot just 33 percent from the field. Arkansas went 17-of-37 from the field in the first half and drained 31 percent of its 3-pointers.

The Mustangs’ defense struggled against Shanita Arnold, as she had a career-best six 3-pointers on the night.

SMU managed to out-rebound the Razorbacks 47-37, led the by the combined effort of Wills, Gilliam, Day and freshman post Christine Elliot.

Through two games, Elliott averaged six rebounds per game. The Mustangs went 25-of-65 from the field, 5-of-15 from long range and 14-of-19 from the free-throw line.

The Mustangs return to Moody Coliseum on Nov. 28 for the SMU Hoops for the Cure Tournament. SMU faces the Sam Houston State Bearkats (1-3) on Friday, followed by a Saturday matchup against either Fresno State (5-0) or UNC-Charlotte (3-1).