Hitting the hardwood

Intramurals engage students in an active lifestyle

It’s no surprise that our university is not a breeding ground for NFL or NBA hopefuls. However, while the Mustangs may not excel on the turf in Ford Stadium or dazzle us on the court in Moody Coliseum, there is a select group of athletes who rain or shine, night or day can be seen fighting it out in some of the most intense intramural games the Hilltop has ever witnessed.

With soccer and flag football now underwraps and basketball set to begin in January, students from all areas of the campus have the opportunity to show off their mad skills against their classmates. What better way to impress that cute girl in your calculus class than showing her your perfect layup? Guys love a girl who can beat them in sports (although many will never admit it). Ladies, get out there and show them just how good of a player you used to be in high school. Better yet, if you missed walk-on tryouts for the men’s team, here’s your chance to sharpen your skills for next season.

It seems that every night a weird blanket of darkness covers our campus. The only lights remaining though, seem to come from the intramural field. We know everyone has seen the activity going on until around 11 p.m., so why not check it out and join or make a team? As for basketball, Dedman is a zoo between the hours of 6 p.m. and closing, why not trade that hour on the treadmill for an hour jogging up and down the basketball court with a group of friends?

Organzations that are eligible to register range anywhere from sororities and fraternities to residence halls, faculty and staff groups, graduate students and even individuals just wanting to get in on the action. If you’re a freshman, think of this as a great way to get to know even more people in your dorm, and even interact with some of the upperclassmen.

Whether you decide to put together an all men, all women, or co-rec team, there is sure to be some intense competition had by everyone involved. Better yet, if you find yourself more the wall flower type, intramural gives you a great excuse to ditch the library for an hour and cheer on your friends as they square off against another dorm. Come finals, you’ll be wishing you were listed on the roster of that winning team.

With the basketball deadline fast approaching, some of the other sports coming around in the spring include: indoor soccer, bowling, racquetball, softball, ultimate frisbee, sand volleyball, dodgeball and doubles tennis. With all these sports, there really is no excuse to get in with one team.

For those of you who have yet to here of this opportunity, you still have time to throw together a group of friends and register a team. The deadline to register a team for basketball is Thursday. Visit http://smu.edu/recsports/intramurals.com for more information.