Green Wave causes rough seas for Mustangs

SMU falls in overtime, 41-34

Watch a video recap of the SMU vs. Tulane featuring writers Jordan Hofeditz and Mark Norris.

Just when things couldn’t get any worse for the Mustangs, they did. A 41-34 overtime loss to Tulane on Saturday night exemplified the season for SMU so far.

Head coach Phil Bennett called the play of his defense “the most atrocious display of tackling [he] has ever seen.”

The loss is the fifth in a row for SMU, dropping them to 1-6 overall and 0-3 in Conference USA.

Bennett, whose job security is in serious doubt, did not answer questions in the post-game press conference regarding his job status.

The Mustangs allowed 349 rushing yards to Tulane’s Matt Forte, who also scored four touchdowns. Forte tied the record for most rushing yards allowed by the SMU defense and set a new Conference USA record.

After taking a 17-7 lead in the second quarter, the Mustangs gave up 20 unanswered points and found themselves behind 27-17 headed into the fourth quarter.

SMU fought back to get themselves back in the game. But with four and a half minutes left Tulane took a 34-27 lead. SMU seemingly had the Green Wave stopped on a third down, but Forte bounced out of the group of tacklers and ran down the sideline 77 yards, setting up the Tulane score.

On the following possession, the Mustangs went three and out and with 3:25 left in the game SMU had to give the ball back to Tulane.

SMU’s defense came up with a much-needed stop and the Mustangs got the ball back with 1:50 left in the game, and no timeouts.

Justin Willis orchestrated a nine-play, 81-yard drive that tied the game and gave the Mustangs a chance in overtime.

In overtime Tulane got the ball first, and once against Forte found the end zone, forcing SMU to score a touchdown or lose.

On the first play for the Mustangs Willis was sacked by Reggie Scott who forced the ball out of Willis’ hands. Avery Williams recovered the ball and won the game for Tulane.

SMU heads out on a two-game road trip, beginning Saturday against the Golden Hurricane in Tulsa.