Mustangs fall again in OT

Tulane running back Matt Forte (25) slips past a host of SMU defenders during the fourth quarter of Saturday nights game.
John Schreiber
Tulane running back Matt Forte (25) slips past a host of SMU defenders during the fourth quarter of Saturday night’s game.

Tulane running back Matt Forte (25) slips past a host of SMU defenders during the fourth quarter of Saturday night’s game. (John Schreiber)

If you know someone on SMU’s defense, you might not see much of them this week.

Following Saturday’s 41-34 overtime loss to Tulane, head coach Phil Bennett said that the defense will be running full speed tackling drills all week in practice.

Bennett called the play of his defense “the most atrocious display of tackling [he] has ever seen.”

The loss is the fifth in a row for SMU, dropping them to 1-6 overall and 0-3 in Conference USA.

In the post-game press conference, Bennett, whose job security is in serious jeopardy, did not answer questions regarding his job status.

The Mustangs allowed 349 rushing yards to Tulane’s Matt Forte, who also scored four touchdowns. Forte tied the record for most rushing yards allowed by the SMU defense and set a new Conference USA record.

The Mustangs looked like they might be in control of the game after the first quarter. SMU had a 7-0 lead and controlled the ball, holding on to it for 11 minutes and 16 seconds of the 15-minute quarter.

The Mustangs looked like a team determined to win. SMU converted on a fake punt run and on another fourth down conversion.

But things fell apart in the second quarter. SMU gave up 17 points and 223 yards.

After taking a 17-7 lead in the second quarter, the Mustangs gave up 20 unanswered points and found themselves behind 27-17 headed into the fourth quarter.

SMU fought to get themselves back in the game. But with four and a half minutes left, Tulane took a 34-27 lead. SMU seemingly had the Green Wave stopped on a third down, but Forte bounced out of the group of tacklers and ran 77 yards down the sideline, setting up the Tulane score.

On the following possession, the Mustangs went three and out, and with three minutes and 25 seconds left in the game, SMU had to give the ball back to Tulane.

SMU’s defense came up with a much-needed stop and the Mustangs got the ball back with a little under two minutes left in the game and no timeouts.

Justin Willis orchestrated a nine-play, 81-yard drive that tied the game and gave the Mustangs a chance in overtime.

In overtime Tulane got the ball first, and once again Forte found the end zone, forcing SMU to score a touchdown or lose.

On the first play for the Mustangs Willis was sacked by Reggie Scott who forced the ball out of Willis’ hands. Avery Williams recovered the ball and won the game for Tulane.

SMU heads out on a two-game road trip beginning Saturday against the Golden Hurricane in Tulsa.