Say cheese, SMU

The voyeur culture’s new marketplace

The weekend scenes at SMU bars and parties rival those of Hollywood happenings that later appear on the pages of US Weekly and People magazine. There are more flashbulbs going off at the Green Elephant (otherwise known as Home Bar) on a Thursday night than there are at most New York Fashion Week shows.

The gentlemen don their finest sport coats and designer jeans while the ladies, needless to say, are knockouts. SMU’s student body has been known as a benchmark population for high college style, and it appears that every outfit is cause for a celebration – or at least a brand new Facebook photo album.

There’s no reason not to get dressed up and look like a million bucks when going out on the weekends – please, keep the eye candy parade marching on. But is there really a need for so many photos to be taken? You are all beautiful, and we understand you like looking at your beautiful selves, but there are other options. Mirrors, for one.

Since the digital camera became as prevalent as the color television, we have all become camera-happy, taking copious photographs of anything worth, or not worth, a physical memory.

But isn’t taking pictures of one’s friends worth making memories of? Absolutely. But how special are pictures of your friends from every night of the week? How many photo albums of the same five people do we really need?

Our newly minted voyeuristic lifestyle has negatively manifested itself on the pages of DirtyDTown.com, where random weekend photographs of Dallasites plague its subjects the morning after.

Why are these pictures taken in the first place? Rarely is anything of substance going on in these photos. Despite some personal beliefs, we’re not celebrities or the paparazzi. We’re college kids with Canon PowerShots.

So what’s the next step our snap-happy culture is going to take? Will everyone move to rolling video once stills become too mundane? Take a guess where this is going.

We implore you, no, we beg you all to remember one thing. You are not Pam Anderson, Tommy Lee, Paris Hilton, Rick Saloman, Kim Kardashian, Ray-J or LC and Jason. Please, there is no need for sex tapes to be floating around the SMU server. These celebs made their movies for publicity – whether they admit it or not. No one on this campus needs that much publicity. No, not even you.