Publishing: it’s all about the wordplay

Professionals from the publishing industry came to SMU Wednesday and spoke about their respective careers at the Hegi Family Career Development Center Brown Bag Lecture. The lecture focused on the speakers’ experiences and advice on how to break into the profession.

Dedman College Career Liaison Judy Carr began by introducing the panel of speakers, who differed in their career experiences, but shared an interest in publishing.

Dr. Jeanette Harris, a part-time English instructor in SMU’s graduate school and senior editor of Brown Books Publishing Group, spoke about the importance of reading, writing and editing. She emphasized that if you want to get involved in the industry, you should be “reading, writing and editing everything you get your hands on.” This type of practice prepares one for a career in publishing. She also advised the audience that the best approach to editing is not attacking, but instead nurturing.

Jack Bick, the former owner and president of Inside Collin County Business, spoke on the importance of education. He told the audience to “not just try and get that grade, but get an education.” However, the education he spoke of was not just found in books. Bick urged the audience to “know the world, understand the world,” something echoed by Dr. Harris earlier, who mentioned the importance of having a “checkered past.”

SMU alumna and co-founder of Bee magazine Celine Gumbiner also offered advice to the audience. She advocated understanding readers and building a relationship with them. She also offered a job-seeking tip to the audience.

“People look for creativity mostly when they look for an editor,” Gumbiner said.

A common theme found among the advice of the panelists was the importance of experience. They each mentioned that internships are a great way for students to get involved.

“I have a better understanding of what I should do if I want to enter the publishing industry,” junior Matt Dixon said.