Corner Market offers savory sandwiches

This incredible October weather gave us an excuse to find a cozy little restaurant and coffee shop to enjoy the breeze and sunlight.

Right down Greenville Avenue at McCommas Boulevard is The Corner Market, esteemed for its Best Sandwich in August’s issue of D Magazine.

The market is housed in an 86-year-old former pharmacy, which gives it a nostalgic and unique feel.

For such a small joint it sure has a lot to offer, including Boar’s Head paninis and sandwiches, specialty salads, Italian coffees, any refreshing bottled drink you could imagine, breakfast selections, handmade chocolate truffles, Haagen-Dazs ice cream and a full-service florist to please any appetite.

Almost all of the market’s sandwiches are named after streets in the neighborhood.

We have enjoyed The Corner Market a couple of times for both breakfast and lunch.

Chef Erron Thames (formerly of Bread Winners) has formed a menu of salads and sandwiches that are healthy and tasty.

For breakfast, we recommend the breakfast burrito (meat or vegetarian) with potato, egg, cheese and fresh vegetables, all wrapped in a warm tortilla.

The burrito is partnered with a homemade salsa that is not very spicy, but has great flavor.

The market also offers breakfast plates on the weekends. Add one of those to a coffee from the full-service coffee bar and you are good to go.

However, there are more choices for lunch.

We tried a current special that allows you to sample any three of the homemade salads.

The Corner Market also has a chef’s case featuring all of its different salads and entrees of the day.

We chose the potato salad, Mercedes shrimp salad and the chicken salad.

All three were very good, but we liked the Mercedes shrimp salad the best. On our second visit, we ordered the Mercedes shrimp roll: a New England-style shrimp salad on a buttery ciabatta roll.

It tasted fresh and leaves us satisfied but not too full.

We also tried the Mount McCommas sandwich.

It was piled high with oven-roasted turkey, sweet ham, roast beef, Swiss cheese, cheddar cheese, crispy lettuce, ruby tomato, dill pickle and red onion on sourdough bread.

This sandwich was so large we had to take half of it home with us. The fine quality cheese and meat made it very tasty, but the sourdough bread was very dry and did not complement the sandwich.

We would recommend having the sandwich put on the ciabatta rolls, either honey wheat or 12-grain breads.

The market also allows you to build your own sandwich. You can choose any of the Boar’s Head meats and cheeses to put on your favorite bread, and then add all of the toppings and spreads you want.

Grab a seat on a couch, at a tiled table, or one of their outside tables right on Greenville Avenue and enjoy the delicious food.

The Corner Market has an open case cooler full of bottled beverages, as well as a dessert display showcasing its homemade truffles and chocolates.

Free Wi-Fi access is also offered, so bring your computer and enjoy the quaint atmosphere with huge windows facing Greenville Avenue.

If you don’t have time to stay there to eat, it is very easy to grab food to go.

Just a little way south down Greenville Avenue from campus, The Corner Market is definitely worthy of winning the Best Sandwich award in D Magazine. Don’t hesitate to try one of its gourmet healthy sandwiches.

Corner Market is located at 3426 Greenville Ave.