SMU caters to entreprenuers

Some students find the idea of owning their own businesses attractive for a variety of reasons: being their own bosses, working the hours they want and getting to be in charge are a few.

Of course students can encounter challenges when starting the process. Numerous students across the nation have faced the uncertainty and the challenges that come along with working in a small business context.

Recognizing that nationwide the percentage of graduates starting their own businesses is on the rise, the Hegi Family Career Development Center is sponsoring “Careers as an Entrepreneur.” The event will take place 5 to 6:30 p.m. on March 23 at the Ernst and Young Gallery in the Fincher Building. 

Students will hear a panel of professionals discuss their business challenges and achievements in the development of their own businesses.

Students are encouraged to not only attend, but to come with questions, as they will have the opportunity to ask the panel anything they would like, regarding the trials they will face in starting their journey in the business world.

Business  professionals in attendance include Jasmine Brand, founder and director of Brandpointe, an occupational training company; John Humphrey, co-founder and chairman of Pariveda Solutions, a business and technology consulting firm; Angelo Antoline, founder, president and CEO of Munday Morning Creative, an advertising firm; Alice Oszustowicz, founder of Pokey-O’s (a favorite for many SMU students); and Patrick Brandt, founder, president and CEO of Skywire Software.

Cox School of Business BBA Career Services Director Roycee Kerr said they were hosting the event to increase awareness of running or founding a small business. With the country in an economic downturn, the small business sector plays a big role in carrying the economy, she said. 

With this in mind, students are encouraged to look toward the small business field during hard economic times, whether they decide to work in a small business or start their own.

“It sounds interesting, I would definitely like to go learn more about the environment and challenges of working at a small business,” SMU junior Erin Rueas said. “I would also love to know what to expect in the coming years.”

The “Careers as an Entrepreneur” event is a precursor for their next event, The Dallas 100 Talent Expo.  The talent expo provides an opportunity for students to meet with small business that are part of the Dallas 100.  E-mails with more information should be sent sometime this week to all students.