Out-played, out-shot, out of the playoffs

UCSBs Andrew Proctor (left) and SMUs Mynor Gonzalez (right) trip while running for the ball last night.
UCSB’s Andrew Proctor (left) and SMU’s Mynor Gonzalez (right) trip while running for the ball last night.

The University of California-Santa Barbara Gauchos pulled off a 3-1 upset over the men’s soccer team last night. The second round exit is a disappointing end to the season and is only the Mustangs’ second loss of the season. With the loss, the Mustangs record fell to 17-2-4 and the Gauchos improved to 17-2-4.

The Mustangs dominated the first ten minutes of the game and scored a goal that was called back on an offside call. The game continued scoreless until the 32nd minute when UCSB’s Nick Perera scored his fifth goal of the season. He was assisted on the play by sophomore Eric Avila.

In the 36th minute, the Mustangs suffered a serious blow when midfielder Ben Shuleva landed awkwardly on his ankle. He had to be carted off of the field and spent the remainder of the game in a brace.

In spite of the injury, the Mustangs tied the game in the 41st minute when Scott Corbin scored his third goal of the season on a crossing pass from Chase Wileman. The Mustangs’ goal came on a quick reset that caught the Gauchos off guard.

It did not take long for a Gauchos answer. In the 44th minute David Walker scored his first goal of the season. Everyone was bunched up in the box and when the Mustangs’ senior goalkeeper Matt Wideman attempted to punch the ball out unsuccessfully. Wideman then got “pushed out” away from the play, which allowed the goal.

Rather than drop back all of their player in defense, the Gauchos kept up their aggressive, physical play in the second half. They scored the final goal of the game in the 76th minute when Avila scored his sixth goal of the season pulling Wideman out of position. He was assisted on the play Bryan Byrne. The Mustangs made some attempts at the end of the game to score, but the two-goal lead proved insurmountable.

After the game, Coach Schellas Hyndman confirmed that the game was “obviously a disappointment.” The loss of Shuleva really hurt the midfield because according the coach Hyndman, Shuelva is the Mustangs’ “best ball winner and really courageous” on the field.

Coach Hyndman and the Mustangs were “surprised by the 4-5-1” that the Gauchos played. The Gauchos’ coach Tim Vom Steeg went with the 4-5-1 because it “took away the outside and forced them to play through the midfield.” This strategy of playing through the midfield really started to work when Shuleva left the game. Another reason UCSB ran that formation was to shut down Bruno Guarda. The Gauchos’ Eric Frimpong shadowed Guarda all night and never allowed him to get into a rhythm.

This was the final game for goalie Matt Wideman and senior tri-captains Jay Needham, Mynor Gonzalez, and Chase Wileman. Bruno Guarda and Jay Needham are still up for the Hermann award. The three finalists will be selected on December 3rd.

The loss was a “disappointing end” to the season and marks the only time the Mustangs have allowed three goals this season. The Gauchos advance to the third round where they will play Old Dominion.