Students rally for Pucacco

Students stand in front of the Blanton Building fountain Friday to protests the ouster of engineering advisor Leo Pucacco. The students have a meeting with SMU administrative officials today.
Lindsey Perkins

Students stand in front of the Blanton Building fountain Friday to protests the ouster of engineering advisor Leo Pucacco. The students have a meeting with SMU administrative officials today. (Lindsey Perkins)

Engineering Dean Geoffrey Orsak denied that any changes are occurring in his department days after students rallied for ousted advisor Leo Pucacco.

“I’m not sure where that report [of restructuring] came from,” Orsak said.

Orsak said that the only changes he made were when he was first hired in June 2004.

“There are no restructuring plans right now,” he said. “I hope our students look for the truth in the story…the truth is a lot less exciting than it seems to be.”

Orsak’s statements contradict Friday’s Daily Campus story in which departmental sources cited a planned restructuring for Pucacco’s leaving.

When asked how he felt about the student rally, Orsak said he was proud of the students getting involved in the engineering school. Orsak added while the student reaction has been strong, he believes the faculty and staff reaction has been far less.

“We always have people coming in and out, so this didn’t strike anyone as a surprise,” he said.

Orsak reiterated he was sorry to see Pucacco go, and that his replacement, Betsy Willis, would do a good job taking over for him.

A group of more than 100 students gathered Friday afternoon in front of the Blanton Building to show their support for Pucacco.

Computer engineering major Kyle Parks spoke for about 20 minutes at the rally, informing students about the progress being made.

“Voices have been heard and will continue to be heard. We will demand a full investigation into the coerced resignation of Dr. Pucacco,” Parks said to cheers in front of the crowd.

Parks also read a letter from Pucacco. In it he said that it would be “inappropriate to join you even though I am truly touched by your expression of appreciation.”

Pucacco said his leaving “is not what I wanted, but it was clearly inevitable and I accept that.”

He closed his letter with a quote from his favorite show, “Star Trek,” telling the students to “live long and prosper.”

Students made banners and signed a petition that was to be brought before the provost’s office.

“Leo has been such an integral part of our education. It would be a shame for him to go without a fight,” said civil engineer Christy Chermak.

The student group has collected more than 200 signatures at the rally to present to Associate Provost for Faculty and Administrative Affairs Ellen Jackofsky. Parks said he is also receiving a growing amount of support from engineering alumni.

The students have a meeting with Jackofsky at 2 p.m. today to discuss the situation.

Parks said the student group wants an investigation into what led to Pucacco’s ouster, and if they do not get the results they deem necessary they will continue to work their way up the administrative chain.