‘Pick of Destiny’ thin but funny

Jack Black and Kyle Gass rock the big screen with their first full-length movie featuring their band, “Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny.”

Black and Gass, playing themselves, tell the tale of how the band Tenacious D came together and their search for rock band supremacy, enlisting the help of many of their celebrity friends.

After meeting each other and deciding that they want to become the greatest rock band in the world, Black and Gass find out an astonishing rock-and-roll secret told to them by a guitar store sales person played by Ben Stiller. They learn that all of the rock-and-roll greats, such as Van Halen and Led Zeppelin, reached their musical peak with the help of a mystical guitar pick. This magical pick was created from a part of Satan’s body; therefore, it had all of the power of Satan. The pick was said to make any musician shred with the power of the dark lord.

The two musicians go on a journey to find the guitar pick that will lead them to rock-and-roll greatness. However, there is a problem; the pick of destiny is located in the heavily-secured Rock-and-Roll Hall of Fame.

The two musicians embark on their quest in the car of their most devoted fan, Lee. Along the way, Gass and Black decide to split up, forcing the movie to switch back and forth between characters. One member goes with sorority girls who believe that the band is being inducted into the Rock-and-Roll Hall of Fame, rather than stealing from it.

The other member decides to stay on the quest for the pick of destiny after he procures plans of the hall of fame’s security system from a weird stranger, played by Tim Robbins. After he splits up with Gass, Black heads toward the hall of fame alone.

During his journey through the woods, he eats some exotic mushrooms that make him become a little too in touch with the forest. He also talks to an imaginary furry character that he calls Sasquatch.

The movie was not just a list of stuff that “Jables” and “KG” have done in the past, but chronicles their rise to power in the music scene. The movie was extremely funny, but was not made for everyone. The target audience consists of people who are used to Tenacious D’s type of satanic humor. One can expect to see some pretty high quality comedy in the movie due to the simple fact that the executive producer of the movie is comic genius Ben Stiller.

The plot was very random, but that is where the genius lies. The only problem with the movie was that it was exactly like the Tenacious D HBO TV series. The jokes were similar to the ones found in the show and on the first full-length album, “Tenacious D.”

The music in the film was absolutely fantastic, especially if you enjoy the rock-and-roll style synonymous with “JB” and “KG.”

Overall, the movie is extremely funny and is worth the ticket price.