Dave Matthews Band returns

Though you might not associate crickets with The Dave Matthews Band, a swarm of crickets was the rumored reason Dave took a five year hiatus from touring at the Smirnoff Music Center.

In 2000, while Dave Matthews was wailing away, a cricket reportedly flew into his mouth; the rest is history. He vowed never to return to Smirnoff again.

Nevertheless, The Dave Matthews Band came back to Dallas in full force on the last leg of their 2005 Summer Tour Saturday night, sans crickets.

After releasing their new album, “Stand Up,” in early May, the band came prepared with a fresh line-up of songs including the new hits “American Baby” and “Dream Girl.” Before starting, Dave publicly thanked Dallas residents and the state of Texas for their role in aiding Hurricane Katrina victims.

“You lead, and the rest of the world will follow,” Matthews said before he began the set with the 2001 hit “Everyday.”

From there the band did what they do best, mixing powerful songs with extended jams and solos by violinist Boyd Tinsley, accompanied by Butch Taylor on the keys. High points of the set included energy-packed songs like “Rhyme & Reason” and “Warehouse,” as well as the tour debut of their new song “Everybody Wake Up.” The only lull in the show came during slower songs like “Out of My Hands,” which gave the crowd an opportunity to grab another beer.

The break was short-lived and fans were brought back to their seats when the band closed the set with the old-time favorite hit “Ants Marching” and closed the show with the upbeat song “Rapunzel.”

The Dave Matthews Band will end their summer tour this weekend at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Morrison, Colo., where they have also added an extra show to benefit the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

In addition, the band has pledged a $100,000 donation to the Houston Food Bank to directly benefit the relief efforts here in Texas. For more information on the Dave Matthews Band visit www.davematthewsband.com.