Go ‘Stangs

Mustangs end 23-game winless streak

Ed Board is still celebrating the Mustangs’ win over archrival TCU.

And you should be too.

There are so many good things to take away from the win.

We’ll start on the field, with the people who made it happen.

The star of the game was redshirt freshman DeMyron Martin — who proved that he is ready to be a difference maker for the Mustangs. He led the way by scoring all of SMU’s points, with his two rushing touchdowns and one receiving touchdown.

It also seems that SMU has settled on a quarterback. Jerad Romo connected on passes and was able to scramble down field when necessary.

As great as the offense was, the defense was amazing.

They were able to keep TCU’s offense out of the end zone for the entire game. Their pass rush caused three interceptions and prevented Tye Gunn from establishing any rhythm.

Coach Phil Bennett finally got the marquee win he needed.

Him and his staff’s preparation helped cause the biggest upset since the Death Penalty.

SMU ended a 23-game winless streak against ranked opponents, making it the first win against a ranked opponent since 1986, when the Mustangs beat No. 13 Baylor.

Ed Board is pumped to see what Coach Bennett and his team can do for the rest of the season.

The game on the field was amazing, but Ed Board was equally impressed with the people in the stands.

SMU’s student section was rocking the entire game. Despite being surrounded by the visiting Horned Frog fans, the students cheered — and maybe even taunted — their team to a victory.

Hopefully the section will remain full and rowdy for the rest of the year.

The cheerleaders and dance team also brought their ‘A’ game. While looking good they helped fans make noise at key points during the game.

There were two victories on the field Saturday — the football team’s and the Mustang Band’s. Instead of playing tired high school marching songs, the band entertained with a spirited version of ‘Maria’ and got fans dancing to ‘Barbara Ann.’

Even Peruna had the opportunity to show off, by running across the field after every Mustang touchdown.

For the first time in a while, there is a sense of optimism about Mustang football. And after this past weekend, there’s no reason why everyone shouldn’t be excited.