One satisfying ‘Virgin’

Meet Andy Stitzer. He’s 40, he lives alone, he collects action figures and he does invoicing at an electronic store. Babe magnet right?

Well, apparently not. You see, at the age when the majority of men are having their mid-life crises, Andy is hitting puberty. All right, so his voice isn’t cracking and he’s already got hair on his chest (for half the movie anyway), but he is having to learn some of life’s little lessons a bit late in the game.

Lessons like how to get a girl’s phone number or put on a prophylactic. But not to worry his friends are there to save the day right? Wrong again.

“The 40 Year Old Virgin” starts out with Andy (Steve Carell) and his co-workers (including Paul Rudd) having a late night poker game at the store, and of course at some point in the conversation the topic of sex comes up.

Each one begins to tell the most debauched sex story they can think of, until, inevitably, it’s Andy’s turn, who can think of nothing better to compare how a woman’s breasts feels than to bags of sand.

His friends are quick to realize that he is still a virgin, and at once set all their efforts into getting Andy laid.

What follows are the mishaps and misadventures you would expect from “American Pie,” but to a 40-year-old version of Jason Biggs’ character.

In fact, if you were to somehow combine “American Pie” with the nonsense humor of “Anchorman,” you would get this movie.

Andy gets his chest waxed, is hit on by his creepy boss, picks up a drunk chick at a bar and of course falls in love with a woman who doesn’t want to have sex.

In the end, Andy’s misfortunes remind us of three very important things: firstly, getting some, no matter how old you are, can be awkward and frustrating, so you have to remember to laugh-at your friends when it happens to them; second, there are some things in life worth the wait, even if it is a very, very long wait; and finally, no matter how “experienced” your friends are, they don’t know any more than you do. In fact, some of them know lessí – so for God’s sake don’t listen to them.

The movie is hilarious and is easily the best comedy to come out since “Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo.” If you’ve had sex, you’ll love re-living those awkward moments when you didn’t have a clue, and if you haven’t, then perhaps it will scare you into a drunken one-night stand. It’s a win-win situation no matter what, and either way you should see this movie. “The 40 Year Old Virgin” gets four out of five.