Adventures in listening

The Cure “4:13 Dream”Rating: 6.5

The Cure has been around for over three decades and not much has changed. Robert Smith still wears eyeliner and lipstick, his hair is still frazzled and he’s still got his signature voice. But let’s face it; he and his band are old. They’ve put out over 20 records, not to mention compilations, live albums and singles. They’ve toured the world countless times and headlined festivals. Regardless, Smith and Co. still have something great going for them: They still sound like The Cure they were in the late ’70s. In the group’s latest effort, “4:13 Dream,” the general sound is your basic Cure record. There are dark, brooding songs similar to those one might find on the band’s ingenious “Disintegration,” but also bright, poppy tracks that would fir perfectly on “Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me.” There isn’t a lot of consistency within the album’s sound. Its real downfall is that after listening to a few tracks, you just want to listen to some old, classic Cure. Regardless, if you’re a fan of The Cure, give “4:13 Dream” a try.

The Sea and Cake “Car Alarm”Rating: 8.5

The Sea and Cake’s eighth studio album is something special. The Chicago-based band has consistently released great indie rock albums. As I was buying “Car Alarm” my friend turned to me and said, “Why would you want to buy that? It’s just going to sound like the last album, and the one before that, and the one before that…” Maybe I like sticking with what I know, or maybe I just don’t like to buy bad albums. “Car Alarm” exceeds all expectations. No, the band still hasn’t changed its sound much since ’94, but there’s something genuinely fresh about “Car Alarm.” Tracks still bounce on danceable bass and drum tracks, poppy, high-end guitars and soothing lyrics of Sam Prekop. Those familiar with The Sea and Cake already know “Car Alarm” is a safe bet, but surprisingly enough, will be surprised by its true level of greatness.

Annuals “Such Fun”Rating: 8.0

“Such Fun” comes two years after Annuals’ imaginative “Be He Me.” Annuals’ debut was pretty straightforward – experimental indie rock similar to that of bands such as Animal Collective, but with a much more structured sound. This time around, frontman Adam Baker has taken up the brunt end of the recording process for the band’s second album. He wrote, arranged, and co-produced the album, as well as played guitar, percussion instruments and lent all the vocals. Baker’s final product is a leap above the band’s first record. Baker hasn’t abandoned experimental rock altogether, as there’s a few splashes of Annuals’ signature sound throughout the record. But for the most part, “Such Fun” is a huge departure from what one might expect. The sound isn’t completely consistent through the record as there are a few folk and country-tinged tracks sprinkled in. However, it isn’t off-putting in the least bit. Annuals show that a band can change for the better and develop a true identity. “Such Fun” is a definite step in the right direction.