Ring Ceremony honors juniors, seniors

SMU rings have been a tradition since 1924, but the ring ceremony is in its 7th year.
MICHAEL DANSER/The Daily Campus

SMU rings have been a tradition since 1924, but the ring ceremony is in its 7th year. (MICHAEL DANSER/The Daily Campus)

It’s a tradition seen at many other universities, however, here at SMU it’s a tradition that’s just getting off the ground. 

The 7th annual Ring Ceremony took place Sunday in the Hughes-Trigg Theater. Dozens of students who have completed 60 hours or more, gathered with family to participate in this young tradition.

“It’s a tradition that hasn’t been around too long, there are definitely some kinks that need to be worked out,” junior Jeremy Wilkins said. “I think it needs to be given time, but it could be a really cool tradition.”

President R. Gerald Turner, Lori White, vice president of Student Affairs, Student Body President Patrick Kobler, and Ken Malcomson, SMU alumni board chair sat as the platform party for the event.

Kobler presented the Honorary SMU Ring to class of 1967 and 1970 graduate Harriet Miers, who has served as the Deputy Chief of Staff for policy and White House Council for the Bush administration.

The design of the ring was taken from the very first SMU ring from 1924.

In a letter to SMU students, Connie O’ Neill, SMU Alumni Board Chair wrote, “its symbols connect those who have graduated in the past to those who will graduate this year and in years to come.” 

“Its an honor to be apart of it,” junior marketing major James Parker said. “It just reminds you of your four years at SMU, it will be a part of you forever.”