Are the Mustangs doomed to go 1-11?

A lack of fan support and fourth quarter blunders leads to another loss

The student section managed to break two records in one game at Saturday’s loss to Memphis. More students packed into Ford Stadium during halftime than any other game, but left in record-breaking time by the start of the third quarter. We understand it was Homecoming and 98 percent of you came to see your respective sorority sister or fraternity brother receive Homecoming King and Queen recognitions, but what was so wrong about hanging out an extra hour to see if the Mustangs could pull off their first conference win? It’s doubtful you would have returned to the frat house at the end of the game to find the refreshing Keystone keg empty.

Even if the Mustangs had won, though, the only people there to witness it would have been a few members of the alumni band, some football parents and the two-dozen fans left cheering hopefully from the stands. It sure inspires a ton of hope in our players to win in front of a sea of blue Memphis fans.

If the Mustangs were to ever win their second game of the season, and clinch their first conference victory, Saturday’s Homecoming game against Memphis was their best chance. Unfortunately, NCAA requires that all games consist of four 15-minute quarters. Had it been three quarters, maybe the Mustangs would have had a chance.

Everyone expected June Jones to post outstanding results in his debut season. What they didn’t take into account was the time necessary to develop high school players into collegiate athletes. Instead of focusing on Jones’ talent, students, faculty and even loyal fans continue to dwell on what could be another 1-11 season record. Sure, Jones went 9-4 in Hawaii in his first season after the Warriors suffered through an 0-12 season, but every school is different. Maybe by recording one fewer win Hawaii this year the Mustangs can go on to one more win next season.

Also, it has to be hard to play in front on no one. Half the reason athletes pursue a college career in their select sport is to show off for their peers. SMU may not be a football powerhouse like the University of Texas or Oklahoma, but we are still in a state that worships pigskins and shoulder pads.

Unfortunately, with only two games left in the season and one being played in El Paso and the other taking place at Ford Stadium over Thanksgiving Break, it’s a safe bet that no students will be there to witness SMU should they, by chance, win one more game.