SMU football falters in another close game

Quarterback Logan Turner picks up a bad snap in Saturdays 31-26 loss to Memphis.
Casey Lee
Quarterback Logan Turner picks up a bad snap in Saturday’s 31-26 loss to Memphis.

Quarterback Logan Turner picks up a bad snap in Saturday’s 31-26 loss to Memphis. (Casey Lee)

Memphis got an early 14-point lead and never gave it up. The Mustangs dropped their ninth game of the season, 31-26.

The Mustangs had issues of their own. Snaps were going over the quarterback’s head, the running game couldn’t get going for the second straight game and no big play was made.

“Everybody’s frustrated, but somebody’s got to step up and make a play,” head coach June Jones said. “But somebody’s got to make one.”

Quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell tried to make one early in the second quarter, after being flushed out of the pocket and scrambled for a five-yard game. But on the play Mitchell injured his shoulder and did not return to the game.

As his replacement, Logan Turner completed 19 of 31 passes for 228 yards and two touchdowns.

“Logan came in and I thought he did a real good job,” SMU receiver Emmanuel Sanders said. “He did a great job.”

Sanders caught the only touchdown pass thrown by Mitchell for the Mustangs’ first score in the first quarter. Mitchell completed five of the seven passes he attempted.

On the receiving end of Turner’s two touchdowns was Cole Beasley. Beasley finished the game with six receptions for 66 yards.

The Mustangs have now lost the last three home games. With two games remaining the Mustangs fall to 1-9.

The Mustangs travel to El Paso to face the Miners next weekend.