Pigskin Revue enters 76th year

Homecoming Week not only offers many activities to engage the current student population, but also events that attract alumni back to the University.

Alumni have the opportunity to participate in reunions, awards ceremonies and sports games all throughout this week. A major part of Homecoming Week at SMU includes campus traditions.

The 76th Annual Pigskin Revue is one of these traditions. In fact, the Pigskin Revue is SMU’s longest running tradition, beginning in 1933.

The Pigskin Revue received its unique name since footballs “used to be made out of pigskin” and a revue is simply a “musical variety show,” according to Tommy Tucker, assistant director of the Mustang Band.

The revue serves as both a talent show and musical showcase featuring students and the Mustang Band. Any SMU student, faculty, or staff is eligible to audition to show off their act in the show.

The Mustang Band is the highlight, playing songs and pieces related to the revue’s theme. A different theme is chosen every year; this year’s theme is Mustang Bandstand, a play on the popular television variety show American Bandstand.

As a result, this year’s Pigskin Revue will feature songs from the 1950s-1980s.

“Historically the revue has been a campus-wide event, but recently other events have taken greater precedence [over the show],” Tucker said.

In spite of this, the show goes on.

The band has late night rehearsals in preparation for the big day. Tucker mentioned the week of the revue is “an intense week of work, but when it is over you can relax.”

Only members of the Pigskin Revue Band can truly appreciate the work that goes into making the event happen. They know “it’s an honor to be a part of the revue since [they] are hand selected by the directors” Drum Major Bryan Melton said. This is Melton’s third year to be selected to play in the revue.

The Pigskin Revue will be held in McFarlin Auditorium today at 7:30 p.m. Tickets for SMU staff and students are $10 for reserved seating and $5 for general admission. Tickets are available for purchase in the Mustang Band Hall inside of Perkins Natatorium.