The magic of sports

Since ancient times sports have always been honored. In fact, some competitions have been counted as national holidays. For example, let’s take a closer look at the biggest sporting event in the world – the Olympics.

The Olympics officially began in 776 B.C in Ancient Greece. From this point until now every four years we have the pleasure to watch, and no doubt feel the ancient spirit of the athletes and their will to win. If we ask ourselves what the word “sport” means we will figure out that each one of us has a different definition. For some, sports are simply a way of living, for others it is just a way to keep our bodies in shape. For me, it is the most important and wonderful thing in this world. I had the chance to run and compete professionally, and no doubt those years were the happiest of my life thus far.

As we can see from the millions of athletes that go professional you have to work hard day after day. An athlete has to sacrifice a lot of his or her life in order to be a professional. We can be happy that today, in our life, sports are placed on a very high level. Almost every one of us spends time working out at the gym or simply taking a walk at some of the nicest places here in Dallas.

As students at Southern Methodist University, one of the best universities in America, we are provided with a very good education and a very good training base for rising young talent. We have some of the greatest teams in the NCAA, such as our men’s and women’s soccer, volleyball and basketball team. A sad fact is that we don’t have some of the coolest sports such as softball, baseball, or rugby. Here, at those sports exist only as club sports, not official sports with scholarships for athletes.

This will cost a lot of money simply because the athletes have to be sponsored. And there is always the question about the equality between men’s and women’s sports at the universities. I don’t think that it is fair a popular sport like football, for example, be placed in the hierarchy over other sports like baseball.

We should never forget that there are a lot of men and women waiting out there who love to practice and play. We also have to believe that those people have the will to win and will be winners one day and by doing that, bring honor to them self and to this university!

Petya Kertikova is a sophomore journalism major. She can be reached for comment at [email protected].