Voices aloud

Diverse influences, sounds blend beautifully

If you’re looking for change to the average SMU concert, give the Voices of Change “Silken Strings” concert a chance.

The concert features a convergence of Eastern and Western musical influences.

“The concert is to show that today’s music isn’t just pop or just rock, it covers many genres,” Voices of Change Office Administrator Donna Mendro said.

As a bonus, Chen Yi and Shih-Hui Chen, two famous Asian composers, will be in attendance.

“Both of these women are pioneers in the United States because they are not afraid to do new music,” Voices of Change Artistic Director Jo Boatright said.

Trained in China as a violinist in the European classical tradition, Chen Yi initially came into contact with Chinese folk music in a forced relocation to the countryside during the Cultural Revolution.

She came to America in 1986 to continue her musical studies and has received numerous awards. Her works blend Chinese and Western influences and instrumentation that mingle freely and colorfully.

As a recipient of the American Academy in Rome Prize, a Guggenheim Fellowship and a Barlow Commission, Shih-Hui Chen has received significant recognition as an emerging composer.

Born in Taiwan, she came to the United States in 1982. Her music has been featured by orchestras and ensembles worldwide.

“This concert is definitely worth attending because we’ve never had Chinese composers before,” Boatright said.

The night also marks Boatright’s last concert as director. One of the original founders of Voices of Change, Boatright has spent 28 years making the concerts great.

“I’m moving on to a different part of my life. However, I will miss the musicians,” Boatright said. “This is definitely a job you can’t just walk away from.”

“[Boatright] is a wonderful woman and extremely knowledgeable on composers from many different countries. She will definitely be missed,” Mendro said.

Taking Boatright’s place will be Shields-Collins “Buddy” Bray, a pianist for the Fort Worth Symphony who’s worked closely with Boatright in the past.

Voices of Change is one of the pioneer chamber music ensembles in America dedicated to the performance of music of our time.

The concert will take place 7:30 p.m. Sunday in Caruth Auditorium.